10/09/1969 – A rumor that an automobile manufacturer will take over the glass making operation at the Ford City plant of PPG Industries was scotched by Congressman John P. Saylor, who made inquiry on the matter.
10/09/1969 – Elzie M. White of Templeton RD 1 confirmed reports that he had submitted letters of resignation to Armstrong County School Board and Armstrong School District Board. He didn’t give a reason for his resignation.
10/09/1964 – Darlene Wick, Ford City High School senior will reign as Queen at the homecoming celebration Saturday night at the Ford City Athletic Field where the Ford City gridders tangle with Kiski Springs School.
10/09/1959 – J. Dwight Graham of Kittanning RD 5 was transferred to St. Francis Hospital, Pittsburgh. He had been a patient in Armstrong County Memorial Hospital here since he was injured in a fall from the roof he was painting near his home.
10/09/1959 – The State Highways Department is preparing to invite bids for a project which will bring the new four-lane Route 422 within two miles of downtown Kittanning.
10/09/1959 – The bell at St. Mary’s Church here tolled yesterday afternoon as it has for over half-a-century. Under provisions of the will of the late John Gilpin, the parish received a $100 check each Christmas if the bell is rung on October 8 between the hours of 2 and 3 p.m.
10/09/1954 – Ford City Sanctioned As Driver Examination Site. State Police to Test Drivers from Headquarters at Ford City Armory.
10/09/1954 – Ruth Anne Bowman has been named to succeed Mrs. George Capone as extension home economist in Armstrong County. Mrs. Bowman will be in charge of the adult and 4-H homemaking programs.
10/09/1954 – A kid-packed 12-car excursion train will rumble up the scenic valleys of Armstrong and Jefferson Counties along the 88-mile line of Pittsburg & Shawmut Railroad.
10/09/1944 – Five changes in Methodist pastorates in Armstrong County were announced by Bishop James H. Straughn at the closing session of Pittsburgh Conference in Homestead. The Rev. F. W. Stephenson, for three years pastor of First Church, Kittanning, has been transferred to Dawson. The Rev. R. B. Callahan comes here from Fifth Avenue Church, New Brighton. The Rev. Parker W. Large comes to Rural Valley, succeeding the Rev. Ralph W. Huntsman, who was sent to Somerset. The Rev. J. B. Dodd goes from Dayton to Circleville and the Rev. D. F. Shu comes to Apollo from Cooper Ave. Church, Johnstown. The Rev. John Schrecengost has been assigned to New Florence. He had been at Manorville.
10/09/1944 – Widnoon: Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Hopper received a telegram from the War Department informing them their son Mason Hopper, has been killed in France on Sept. 23.
10/09/1939 – A Kittanning High School graduate (class of 1926), Walter Linaberger Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Linaberger, was ordained as an elder in the Methodist Church at the annual Pittsburgh Conference sessions in Emery Methodist Church, Pittsburgh.
10/09/1939 – D. J. Wagner of Spring Church is Armstrong County’s champion corn husker. He won his crown in a contest held at Armstrong County Home, sponsored by Armstrong County Pomona Grange and the Agricultural Extension. Wagner led a field of 28 in the preliminary rounds and passed nine others in the finals match.
10/09/1934 – Concrete was being poured on the first floor of the new Armstrong County Memorial Hospital. Earth in the cellar also was being cleared and leveled, preparatory to laying of piers into the building.
10/09/1934 – James Harvey Johns, an aged Adrian resident died.
10/09/1929 – W. L. Manes was elected commander of Allied American Legion Post of Ford City.
10/09/1929 – The Rev. E. E. Starr was returned as pastor of the Church of God at Kittanning, by the Western Pennsylvania Eldership in Brackenridge.
BIBLE MEDITATION – The Lord is in his holy temple: Let all the earth keep silence before him. – Habakkuk 2:20 God still speaks to those who take time to listen. Listen!