Historical Headlines – September 12

09/12/1969 – Armstrong Beer Distributor on South Jefferson Street in Kittanning is under the new ownership of Harry R. Hooks, Jr. They are open Monday thru Saturday from 8:30 AM until 9:30 PM.

09/12/1969 – Norman Kaufman, director of Armstrong County Mental Health Clinic, is seeking foster homes for patients on leave from local state hospitals.

09/12/1969 – Help for the poor people of Appalachia through the churches of Armstrong and Allegheny Counties will be discussed at a planning session for all area churchgoers on Sunday evening.

9/12/1969 – Workmen are installing a new face to the Klingensmith Building’s second and third floor, corner of Ford Street and 4th Avenue, Ford City. The surface is of enameled aluminum, colored green. New windows too are being installed on both stories. Erdley Brothers, local contractors, are in charge of the work.

09/12/1969 – Foreman Walter J. Szalankiewicz retired from PPG Industries after a 45-year career there.

09/12/1969 – The Armstrong County Industrial Development Council yesterday was presented with a Pennsylvania Department of Commerce matching fund grant of $3,976 to promote industrial development in the county.

9/12/1969 – Armstrong School Board hired some folk last night. Mrs. Patricia Bruner of Kittanning RD6 will teach Kindergarten at Cadogan Elementary; Dorothy Lewis of East Brady RD1 will teach Kindergarten at East Brady Elementary; Mary Irene Painter of Beaver Falls will teach physical education and girls health at Ford City High School; Paula Jane Robinson of Beaver will be a first grade teacher at West Kittanning Elementary; Joyce Woodle of Dayton RD1 will teach vocal music in the Dayton Elementary and Secondary schools; Sara Meighen of Kittanning will teach business education at Kittanning Senior High; Ann K. Crane of Kittannning MR10 will be a Kindergarten teacher serving one session per day die to increased enrollment at Furnace Run Elementary.

09/12/1964 – A far reaching agreement that will increase teachers’ salaries in Kittanning Area Secondary School system by $277,900 through 1966-67 has been adopted, school authorities said today.

09/12/1964 – For 24 minutes here last night Kittanning looked like the worst team in the WPIAL as the offense fumbled four times and gave away two touchdowns to alert and grateful Tarentum. But then the pressure – and Kittanning’s Terry Rupert – got the best of the Redcats and Tarentum was lucky to get away with a 12-6 victory.

09/12/1959 – Four long-time Kittanning firemen who recently turned in their firefighter uniforms are to be honored at a dinner in East Franklin Township firehall. They are James Broadhead, Turney Blaney, Fred Lindeman and Ted Lindeman.

09/12/1959 – Kittanning Ministerial Association members were on record today urging Town Council to utilize the plot of ground on North Jefferson and High Streets for community recreational purposes.

09/12/1949 – An indication that chestnuts may make a comeback to Pennsylvania soil was reported when a small branch containing ten chestnut burrs was brought to the Leader-Times office. The branch was clipped from a tree on the Boyd Richardson property in Madison Township. A blight about 12 years ago destroyed chestnut trees in Pennsylvania.

09/12/1949 – A lively battle for Republican nomination for Armstrong County sheriff has raged throughout the county for the past four weeks. Running for office are Frank M. Rebolt, Nick J. Zagotti, Preston R. Johnston and Thomas C. Hutchison.

09/12/1949 – Goheenville: A tire falling from a passing truck hit the side of the Bruce Road dwelling here and did considerable damage to a window which was knocked into the kitchen. The kitchen sink was wrecked also.

09/12/1944 – Restriction of automobile parking to one side of four narrow Kittanning streets was authorized by Town Council. Under the resolution, parking will be limited to the north side only of Hazel, Rebecca and Maple Streets and to the east side only of North Water Street between High and Hazel Alley.

09/12/1939 – Plans afoot in the Ford City Polish colony for raising a defense fund for the homeland were blocked when President invoked the neutrality act.

09/12/1939 – Leechburg: The Young Men’s Club, which held a dinner meeting attended by 40 persons in the YMCA rooms here, has since its formation become one of the outstanding men’s organizations in Armstrong County. One of its prime feats was the raising of $300 to send Leechburg boys to camp last summer.

09/12/1934 – A new filing system to systematize the making of partial payments on taxes in Armstrong County was being installed in the office of the county treasurer this week.

09/12/1934 – Members of the drum and bugle corps of Armstrong American Legion post were being sworn in as special officers by Burgess Jacob Maxeiner, to act as police at Gilpin athletic field during football games there this fall. Under an agreement reached by high school athletic authorities and the Legion drum corps, approximately two dozen members will be deputized to act as special officers for all night games.

09/12/1934 – G. Harry Chappelle became the 13th commander of Allied Post of American Legion at the annual election of officers.

09/12/1929 – Mrs. Catherine Waugaman, 76, died while attending services at St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church in Ford City.

09/12/1929 – Francis T. Benson was elected Grand Knight at a meeting of the Knights of Columbus.