08/15/1969 – A special meeting has been called by the chamber of commerce and Kittanning Borough Council to discuss “a necessity of immediately providing additional off-street parking and for planning of future parking areas.” A similar meeting two years ago resulted in the formation of a parking authority.
08/15/1969 – The Rev. Lawrence A. Camberg was elected acting executive director of Armstrong County Community Action Agency by its board of directors.
08/15/1969 – Six new head coaches were named at area high schools including Dave Schrecengost, 26, basketball and Dave Shick, 30, football, both of East Brady. Shick, who has been a football assistant since 1962, has been named to succeed Frank Guesman as head mentor.
08/15/1969 – A light truck operated by Sidney Fair, 27, of McGrann, traveling north on Route 28 near the Route 422 intersection, took evasic action to avoid hitting a stopped car. He struck a southbound auto driven by Willovene Adams, 43, of Spruce Lane, Kittanning. The mishap occurred at 9:15 AM.
08/15/1964 – The new swimming pool, Sun and Swim Club, at Ridgeview Country Club (Kepples Corner) will be opened tomorrow with a dedication service at 2 p.m.
08/15/1959 – Members of Ford City Borough Council will meet with officials of the Pennsylvania Economy League at the Ford City Borough Building to hear a report on the feasibility of subscribing to West Penn Power Co. service.
08/15/1959 – Ford City has 45 grid candidates ready to start training, head coach Walter Charley said today.
08/15/1959 – For the first time in the history of Armstrong County Schools, a program is underway to provide speech therapy to a group of pre-school children. Two centers are being operated currently in Armstrong County. One operates in Leechburg Elementary School and the other is conducted in the Armstrong County School Child Guidance Center, Kittanning.
08/15/1949 – Yatesboro: St. Mary’s Catholic Church was filled to capacity and persons numbering between 500 and 600 were unable to get inside for the funeral service for the Rev. Philip Plantania.
08/15/1949 – There are 2,927 persons receiving public assistance in Armstrong County.
08/15/1949 – The evening train from Oil City to Pittsburgh was more than three hours late in reaching Kittanning as the result of a $150,000 fire at Emlenton which raged through the town for four hours.
08/15/1944 – Lt. William J. Moore, a prisoner of war of the German government, was recently placed on the staff of instructors at Stalag Luft Three, according to a letter received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James B. Moore of Ford Cliff.
08/15/1944 – New Landings Made in Southern France. German Shore Defense Overrun Within Hours by Allied Attackers. Stunned Germans Almost Helpless Between Main Assault Forces and Thousands of American and British Paratroopers; Frenchmen Await Orders for Liberations.
08/15/1939 – Arrest of four “John Does” for drinking bay rum in the riverfront park was reported by borough police.
08/15/1939 – The Surplus Commodities Division of the State Department of Public Assistance distributed two truckloads of food here to persons on relief.
08/15/1934 – Bids for construction of a new Highways Department garage, to be erected on the mill property here by the State Highways Department garage, opened at Harrisburg.
08/15/1934 – Peter Frank, 72, died at his home in Rayburn Township.
08/15/1929 – With two bands furnishing music, Armstrong County Fair opened. A large crowd was in attendance.
08/15/1929 – P. W. Parker, foreman of the foundry of Pittsburgh Plate Glass Industries, has resigned his position after 28 years of service.