Historical Headlines – April 26

04/26/1969 – Town councilmen will reconsider the question of a Ford City and Ford Cliff Borough merger when town fathers meet in the Ford City Borough Building. The councilmen tied in voting to allow the citizens of the town to decide the question. In favor of a referendum were John Englert, Joseph Trimarchi, and Donald Grossman. Against it were William Monroe, Ivan Peck, and Zigmund Cieply. When Mayor John Hand was asked to break the tie, he chose to wait until the next meeting and have councilmen vote again. According to an agreement prepared by committees in both Ford Cliff and Ford City, the territory would be divided into five precincts, there would be ten councilmen, two from each precinct, and the name would be Ford City.

04/26/1969 – Kittanning postal employees are complaining that the Post Office Department isn’t “telling it like it is” about complaints at the Kittanning post office annex on Route 422, Indiana Pike. The building is a converted garage with a super hard concrete floor and a large overhead garage door so ill fitted that sacks must be stuffed in the cracks to keep the cold out. The heated air stays overhead while the floor freezes.

04/26/1969 – Dr. Walter C. Alvarez in his medical column predicted that someday, an artificial heart may be used instead of a transplant with much better results.

04/26/1969 – Allegheny River Lock No. 7 at Kittanning will be closed for repairs for about three weeks starting April 29, the Army Engineers announced today.

04/26/1969 – Ford City: James M. Creighton is being promoted to the position of chief process engineer, Stanley Wolk, plant manager of PPG Industries Works 5 announced today.

04/26/1969 – More than 190 Shannock Valley elementary and junior high school students completed 4 ½ hours of intensive instruction in hunting safety procedures in the Shannock Valley Elementary School.

04/26/1969 – A Nu Mine Marine was wounded for the second time while on active duty at Vietnam. L/Cpl. John Sabo of Nu Mine was wounded in the hip. He telephoned his mother, Mrs. Mary Sabo, to say he is recovering from the wound and will soon rejoin his unit. He was previously wounded with shrapnel fragments on the side of his face, neck, and shoulder. He has been serving with the 11th Marine Division since December 1967.

04/26/1954 – A Kittanning volunteer fireman, 65-year-old Charles Hoey of 250 S. Jefferson St., was hospitalized Saturday afternoon after suffering extensive injuries when he fell from a truck at the scene of a blaze that destroyed a section of a loading shed at McNees, Kittanning Company, Oak Ave.

04/26/1949 – The Green Pennant safety award fluttered from the Kittanning Elementary School’s flagstaff today, signifying that the school passed a 30-day accident free period. The high school’s program was thrown for a three-day loss when a student was involved in a four automobile collision on Route 28 last Sunday.

04/26/1944 – General statewide apathy shown by voters in the Primary Election was reflected in Ford City Tuesday as 179 Republicans and 61 Democrats made their way to the polls here.

04/26/1944 – Fewer than 4,500 Republicans and Democrats in the county took the trouble to mark ballots Tuesday. The vote was one of the lightest on record and for the first time within memory, less than 1,000 people cast ballots in Kittanning.

04/26/1939 – A margin of only 0.028 of a point separate the scholastic average of the two top honor students of the 1939 class of Kittanning High School, it was revealed today, when the names of the valedictorian and salutatorian of the class were announced in an assembly program. Highest honors were awarded Helen Catherine Reese, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Reese of 1404 N. Grant Ave., Kittanning, while second highest honors went to Jane Elizabeth Yeager, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry H. Yeager of Templeton.

04/26/1934 – Neal Lawson, son of Mr. and Mrs. K. R. Lawson of Lawsonham has been chosen valedictorian and Ellen Lattanzio, 416 Union Avenue, Kittanning, salutatorian of the 1934 graduating class of Kittanning High School.

04/26/1934 – The Boggsville School in South Buffalo Township closed the term with a picnic Wednesday. Miss Agnes VanDyke has been teacher of the school for the past two years.

04/26/1929 – At a meeting of Ford City school board last night, the Henry Shaffer Lumber Company of Kittanning was awarded a contract for erection of a new school building in Ford City.

04/26/1929 – H. G. Gates has been elected president of the new Kittanning Thrift Corporation. Workmen are converting the lounge room of Hotel Steim into an office for the corporation.