04/25/1969 – Kittanning Suburban Joint Water Authority, with 260 customers signed up for water service in the expanding western fringes of Kittanning, envisioned start of construction on its municipal supply system by mid-summer according to chairman W. Joseph Morgan. The 260 customers were enrolled at East Franklin Fire Hall. There were also persons interested in receiving water service outside the boundaries of the planned system.
04/25/1969 – A fire that started in a paint tank inside the Raychord Corp in Apollo was quickly put out by the Apollo Fire Department. A spokesman for Raychord, located next to Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corp, said damage amounted to $1,000.
04/25/1969 – U.S. Army Captain John R. Snyder of Kittanning was recently promoted to present rank and is serving as a company commander at Ft. Nix, N. J.
04/25/1969 – Wilbur Bowers announced that he will be a write-in candidate on the Republican ballot as a councilman in the second ward of Kittanning.
04/25/1969 – The home of John Barto in Sleepy Hollow, Kiski Township near Apollo, burned to the ground routing the parents and 12 children from their home at 6:30 AM yesterday. A kerosene stove exploded and caught fire. Four children were burned; two were hospitalized, and released. The Bartos are staying with a sister of the father.
04/25/1969 – Kittanning High’s tennis team defeated Burrell for its 4th win in five matches.
04/25/1969 – Alan B. Mitchell of Pittsburgh, an architect employed by the state, will submit plan and costs for remodeling a former supermarket to house Ford City library.
04/25/1969 – Mr. & Mrs. Marlin Gutherie of Kittanning RD3 have received word from their son, Marine Corporal Patrick Gutherie that he has been wounded in Vietnam for the second time since he entered the Marine service 10 months ago.
04/25/1969 – About $19.4 million was contributed to the economy of the Ford City-Kittanning area during 1968 by the Ford City production operations of PPG Industries. The nearly 1,800 employees of the city’s PPG complex earned more than $16 million in salaries and wages.
04/25/1964 – Al Yates started as Freeport beat Springdale in a Section 8 baseball game, 10-3.
04/25/1964 – The Ford City Union School District treasury now has a total of a quarter million dollars.
04/25/1964 – Albert A. Contrucci of 310 Diamond Way, Kittanning has been awarded a scholarship to Duquesne University.
04/25/1959 – Freeport High School’s defending WPIAL baseball champions downed Ford City 10-4 in an exhibition game played at Freeport.
04/25/1959 – The W. F. Insurance Agency, Rural Valley, has been sold to Raymond A. Zeigler, representing the McHenry and Painter, Inc., Agency of Kittanning.
04/25/1959 – Ford City High School’s annual band concert was given in the school gymnasium with an audience of more than 600 in attendance.
04/25/1949 – Sixty candidates were initiated into seven Armstrong County American Legion posts in the first event of its kind ever held in Ford City or in the county.
04/25/1949 – Prompt action by Kittanning firefighters prevented serious loss at the Continental Clay Products Co. plant on Orr Ave. The firemen extinguished a fire in two of the stock sheds. About $300 damage was reported.
04/25/1949 – The Pittsburgh “Post Gazette’s” aerial egg-beater, a helicopter put in use recently for news coverage and promotional purposes, visited Kittanning and other Allegheny Valley towns today. The craft’s descent at Kittanning was believed to be the first landing of its kind ever made here.
04/25/1939 – Notices are being mailed by trustees of the First National Bank Dayton, for payment of a 20 per cent distribution of assets on May 1. This will make a total of 100 per cent paid to the creditors.
04/25/1939 – One hundred fifth acres of land were burned over by three separate brush fires along the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad tracks near Craigsville.
04/25/1939 – A. J. (Andy) Sedwick, was elected president of Kittanning Rotary Club succeeding Lawrence E. Thomas, at a meeting of the club in Steim Hotel dining room.
04/25/1934 – Bids will be opened in the office of Armstrong County commissioners for construction of a new election house in Boggs Township.
04/25/1934 – The Thomas School in Kittanning Township will close April 27.
04/25/1929 – James John, 25, of Washington Township was found dead under the fall of roof in the coal bank of his father-in-law, James Crissman.
04/25/1929 – L. H. Steim has purchased a two-family frame dwelling on Orr Avenue from Franklin Callen.