Historical Headlines – April 16

04/16/1969 – Armstrong County commissioners have named a six-man committee to determine ways and means of furthering sewerage and water system development. The non-salary commission will be: Fred Bauer, Kittanning; John Guthrie, Apollo; Richard Laube, North Buffalo Township; Clyde Leri, Freeport; Robert Nolte, Kittanning; and James Wyant, Kittanning.

04/16/1969 – Sandy Harkleroad, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Harkleroad of Kittanning RD 3, was named as one of the regional winners in a safe-driving essay contest sponsored by the Insurance Information Office of Pennsylvania.

04/16/1969 – Ford City Library’s hopes for state aid were dashed last night as a state library official explained state policy to the Ford City Library Board. In order to qualify for state funds, a library must serve a population of 10,000. The library serves Ford City and Manorville with a total population of 6,000. Ford Cliff has a population of 509 persons. Ford City needs the added cooperation of Manor Township to meet state requirements, since Manor has a population of approximately 6,000. A referendum on library cooperation was voted unfavorably in Manor Township previously.

04/16/1969 – Plans for the Head-Start program this summer under the direction of the Armstrong County Community Action Agency are underway.

04/16/1969 – The state House is considering a heavily-sponsored bill designed to bring Bible reading back to public schools. The measure was introduced by Rep. Gust L. Stemmler (D-Westmoreland) and 52 other assemblymen from both sides of the aisle yesterday. Stemmler’s bill would permit Bible reading five minutes before the opening of school on a voluntary basis. State law requires Bible reading and authorized pupils to be excused at the written request of parents, but the U.S. Supreme Court ruled unconstitutional all compulsory prayer and Bible reading in public schools.

04/16/1969 – The average instructional cost per pupil in Armstrong County climbed from $459.54 to $496.36 for the current year. It is an 8% increase over last year, but is below the statewide average of 11.2%. The average daily attendance in Armstrong County is 21,781 as compared with 21,726 last year – an increase of .3%.

04/16/1964 – Construction of the Narrows, 4.6 miles of Route 68 linking East Brady and Rimersburg in the historic Bradys Bend area of Clarion County, may be underway by late 1965, months ahead of recent engineer estimates.

04/16/1959 –Manor Township Joint Municipal Authority will move its headquarters from a trailer at Route 66 and Stringtown Road to the election house on Lincoln Way.

04/16/1959 – David Maloney was elected president of Kittanning Junior Chamber of Commerce.

04/16/1959 – Miss Sally Shaner, a freshmen at Clarion State Teachers College, is being sponsored by the Outdoor Club in the contest for Miss CSTC for the College Spring festivities. Miss Shaner, a graduate of Kittanning High School, is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth O. Shaner, Kittanning MR10 (East Brady Road).

04/16/1954 – Installation of four bowling alleys will begin in the First Slovak Catholic Union building now under construction at Sixth Ave., Ford City.

04/16/1954 – Ninety-nine new members were received by First Presbyterian Church, Kittanning, at Holy Communion services.

04/16/1954 – New Kittanning High School teachers hired for the 1954-55 school term are Betty Jane Ondrejack of Johnstown, Nancy Sessions of Lansing, Mich., Samuel Marks of McKeesport, Richard George of Apollo RD 2 and Mrs. Jack Leech of Kittanning.

04/16/1949 – Good Friday Rites Draw Large Crowd. St. John’s Lutheran Church Nearly Filled For Greater Part of Three-hour Community Worship.

04/16/1949 – Mrs. Robert R. McAuley was able to return to her home in Templeton RD 1 from Armstrong County Memorial Hospital, where she was a patient for four weeks suffering from a broken leg. She fell on the kitchen floor on March 19 and was admitted to the hospital that day.

04/16/1934 – Ford City: Richard B. Ford, American consul at Seville, Spain; his wife, Mrs. Mildred Core Ford and their two children left for New York after a 12-week visit at the home of Mrs. Karl W. Core of Lenape Lodge.

04/16/1934 – Leechburg: A curtailed working force inaugurated the new Works Division when the director, Fred T. Butler, ordered 579 men back to work on 36 projects. The Works Division employs the maximum possible number of heads of families with dependents.

04/16/1929 – Marie Dar and James W. Lorigan were married today at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Kittanning. The Rev. Charles F. Sullivan officiated at the ceremony.

04/16/1929 – Two garages on the properties of H. E. Ashe and W. E. Eberhart, Manorville, were destroyed by fire.

04/16/1929 – A plan to install four to six open hearth furnaces, a bar mill and a blooming mill at the Apollo Steel Mill is being contemplated. The project would cost $5,000,000.

04/16/1929 – Margaret Blondeaux, 19-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Blondeaux of Fifth Ave., Ford City died at her home.