04/12/1969 – Freeport Town Council authorized advertising for bids for construction of a police communications network that will operate on the same frequency as the central county communications police network in Kittanning, which serves many communities in Armstrong County. There is difficulty being hooked up with the lower Allegheny Valley, where police from Tarentum cannot call police in Natrona. Estimated cost is expected to be $5,000.
04/12/1969 – Volunteers armed with shovels and rakes, bulldozers and trucks, invaded Leechburg Area Park to clear 24 acres of woodland adjacent to the park on a hilltop overlooking the Kiskiminetas River in Gilpin Township.
04/12/1969 – John R. “Jack” Kennedy today announced his candidacy for the third term as Armstrong County coroner on the Republican ticket.
04/12/1969 – John Procyszan, a seventh grade student of Ford City Junior High School, was congratulated by Miss Marilen Bowser, the school’s dental hygienist, for second place honors in the Western Pennsylvania Odontological Society Poster Contest. He will receive a transistor radio as his prize.
04/12/1954 – James Benton, Carolyn Knoble, Judy Miller, Charlotte Roofner, Ruth Reed, Denny Salsgiver, Carol Semmens, John Whelan and Jean Wilson were received into communicant membership by the Rite of Confirmation Sunday morning at St. Luke’s Reformed Church.
04/12/1964 – Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Liebman of Sharon will leave April 20 to take up residence in Cleveland, where the former will be affiliated with National Broadcasting Company at radio station WTAM and television station WNBK
04/12/1949 – A Kittanning accounting firm executive and the senior accountant of the firm’s local office were reported gaining satisfactorily in a Pittsburgh hospital today from multiple injuries received in a traffic accident in Ohio. The injured are Harry B. Culley, partner to Harry B. Culley and Company and Miss Theda Boyd, the firm’s senior accountant here.
04/12/1949 – Three men from a landscaping company along with five members of St. John’s Lutheran Church worked into the night to complete a project of planting shrubbery about the front of the church. The initial planting is but part of a long-range plan for future planting.
04/12/1944 – James V. Colonna, director of Kittanning Boys Band, announced today that approximately 20 boys will be needed this spring to fill vacancies in the beginners band.
04/12/1944 – Regular meeting of Kittanning School Board was postponed until 4 p.m. today. Main item of business will be opening of bids for Kittanning School District bonds totaling $27,500 being issued to purchase the McCain property at North McKean and Vine Sts.
04/12/1939 – All of the remaining assets of Farmers National Bank of Leechburg, including notes, judgments, fixtures and one parcel of real estate, will be sold at public auction Saturday afternoon, April 15, it was announced this week by Charles F. Fox, receiver for the bank.
04/12/1939 – Jacob Ralph Einstein, who came to Kittanning 59 years ago to accept a $6-a-week job as a clerk in the Jacob Klein and Brother clothing store, will be honored Thursday by business associates and friends who are his most valued possessions. Merchants, professional men, Einstein clerks past and present, and representatives of the fraternal and civic organizations with which he has been identified will gather in the Alexander Hotel banquet hall tomorrow night to pay tribute to Einstein.
04/12/1934 – Although no definite plans have been formulated, the state highway department may construct a permanent building for housing maintenance equipment here in the future.
04/12/1934 – Snow fell in Kittanning this morning.
04/12/1929 – It has been reported that the Montgomery Ward Co. has closed a lease for a location on Market St. The construction of a suitable building on the premises is expected to follow shortly.
04/12/1929 – Ten feet of space will be removed from the men’s waiting room at the Pennsylvania Railroad station to provide a place for the use of the baggage department.
04/12/1929 – Mrs. Olive Hammond has been chosen chairman of the library board of Ford City and Walter Bowser, secretary.