12/6/1968 – Kittanning postmaster Michael Vongrey Jr. assured patrons today that the service at the post office here is the same as always, even though much of the back-shop work will be handled hereafter in a concrete block structure on Indiana Pike. Lobby windows will provide the same service. The casing of mail and other internal handling will increasingly be handled at the Indiana Road site.
12/6/1968 – The Pennsylvania State Education Association are calling for minimum pay of $10,500 for its membership of 85,000 Pennsylvania educators.
12/6/1968 – Laird Davis of Ford City RD1 gave other nimrods something to thing about when he bagged a nine-point buck yesterday in the Cochran Mills area. The buck weighed 180 pounds. Ed Schrecengost, 13, of Kittanning RD2 shot a six-point, 175-pound buck near Templeton. Ricky Maffei, 15, of Rural Valley, killed a six-point buck in Porter County. Martin A. Heeter, 134 Queen Street, Kittanning, shot a seven-point 115-pound buck in the Rural Valley area. David St. Clair of Leechburg bagged a six-point 140-pound buck in the Cherry Run area.
12/6/1968 – East Brady native Navy Commander W. H. Purdum, son of Dr. and Mrs. F. P. Purdum, addressed the 416th Basic Enlisted Class of the Submarine School at the end of their two-month instruction. Commander Purdum is a veteran submariner, having served on diesel-electric, nuclear fast attack and Fleet Ballistic Missile submarines. He is presently the Commanding Officer of the USS Thomas Jefferson (SSBN 618) Gold Crew.
12/6/1968 – The Reverend Kenneth B. Fennell was installed as the new pastor of Simpson Bible Church in Kittanning RD5. Pastor Fennell was ordained under the Ministerial Association of World Evangelism and the Brethren in Christ Church.
12/6/1963 – Sweatshirts were presented to members of Armstrong Co. YMCA Boy’s and Girl’s Swim team last night by the Swim Team Parent’s Club. Making the presentation were Robert Cunningham, president; Mr. Eugene Hudson, assistant girl’s coach; Charles Wilson, head boy’s coach; Walter Zurney, assistant boy’s coach; Mrs. James Greenbaum, assistant girl’s coach; and Richard George, general secretary of the YMCA.
12/6/1958 – The Christmas spirit prevails at Armstrong Co. courthouse with decorations throughout the hallways and in some offices in keeping with the holiday season.
12/6/1958 – The first Christmas tree has been installed and decorated in the commissioner’s office. Trimmed with tinsel, colored balls, and lights, the tree is only one of several ones expected to appear in courthouse offices.
12/6/1958 – Charles Cusick, Manor Twp. Joint Municipal Authority chairman, was scheduled to give additional testimony at Armstrong Co. Court regarding the proposed annexation of Ford View to Ford City Borough.
12/6/1948 – Streets in the main business section of Kittanning took on a festive air during the weekend when Christmas lights were turned on.
12/6/1948 – A large number of people attended the cornerstone-laying for the First Church of God being erected at Woodward Ave. and Chestnut St.
12/6/1948 – Forty young ones of St. John’s Lutheran Church met to organize 2 Luther Leagues and to discuss plans for the remaining Sunday nights of the month.
12/6/1943 – With 18 suits listed for presentment over a three-day period, the December term of civil court was convened by Judge J. Frank Graff in Armstrong Co. courthouse.
12/6/1943 – PA fishing licenses for 1944 were placed on sale at the treasurer’s office in the county courthouse upon receipt of 1200 metal license tags.
12/6/1938 – Kittanning Town Council followed a recommendation of Kittanning Free Library’s Board of Trustees in appointing Mrs. John R. Herbert of Vine St. to complete the unexpired trusteeship of Mrs. A.C. Griffith, who resigned.
12/6/1938 – Merrill Swartzlander was elected president and Stuart Helm was named vice president of Kittanning school board at a reorganization meeting in the office of the superintendent of school, Central School building.
12/6/1938 – The staff of the defunct First National Bank and Trust Co. of Ford City delivered checks worth $37935 to about 750 depositors at the start of distribution of an 8% dividend.
12/6/1933 – B. Hoey was named president of #1 Hose Co. for 1934 when company members held an annual election of officers in #1 Hose Co. fire hall.
12/6/1928 – Charles Love of Ford City was killed by a Pennsylvania Railway train whilst on his way home from work at Pittsburgh Plate Glass Industries.
12/6/1928 – A pulmotor purchased recently with funds furnished by citizens is now ready for public use, at no charge. The device has been turned over to Kittanning Hose Company #1 firemen.