11/15/1968 – Armstrong School Board moved forward on $6.8 million financing request for Worthington Elementary School and Shannock Valley High School. An eight-acre site would be used for addition to the Worthington Elementary for maximum anticipated enrollment of 1,081 pupils in kindergarten through sixth grade. The 41-acre site on the location of the Shannock Valley Old Gymnasium would be used to accommodate a maximum of 812 students in grades ten through twelve.
11/15/1968 – Armstrong County Tourist Promotion Bureau has asked the Pennsylvania Department of Forests and Waters to install 150 new campsites at Crooked Creek State Park. The organization, an arm of Kittanning-Ford City Area Chamber of Commerce and the Armstrong County planning commission, is essentially a promotional instrument for the county. State funds are allocated on a matching basis for promotional literature published by the group. Nearly 50,000 large brochures covering the county and its history were published last year. Corbin Wyant, president of the tourist bureau, said there have only been 50 campsites at Crooked Creek for past 20 years.
11/15/1968 – A new tank is under construction at the Cadogan Water System plant, Cadogan Mine Yards, Allegheny River Mining Company. The settling tank will have a capacity of 40,000 gallons of water and is constructed of redwood staves, 19-feet long, six-inches wide, and three-inches thick.
11/15/1968 – Navy Engineer First Class Frank Hogenmiller, 32, of Oak Avenue, Kittanning, was killed in action in Vietnam today when his ship was mined and sunk near Ben Dert Long River in Mekong Delta. Hogenmiller enlisted in the Navy 11 years ago. He returned to Vietnam for the fifth time last August, volunteering for duty there rather than accepting assignment in this country. He grew up in Adrian, and was a son of Earl Hogenmiller and Blanche Toy. He is survived by his wife, the former Patricia Waugaman.
11/15/1968 – George Kellar, son of Mr. & Mrs. Steve Kellar of 1031 6th Ave, Ford City, as been named to Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges. Kellar is a junior majoring in Industrial Management at Gannon College in Erie.
11/15/1968 – New band jackets were presented to Elderton High School Senior Bandsmen last night during the Annual Band Dinner at the school cafeteria. Sam Sasala, band director, congratulated officers of the band: Jerry Kimmel, president; Jeff Elgin, vice-president; Judy Gearhart, secretary; and Patty Wood, treasurer. There will be 29 Elderton musicians graduating this term.
11/15/1963 – Armstrong Co. School Board has called on the county’s various districts for guidance and direction in helping the county board submit a school reorganization plan to the newly formed state Board of Education.
11/15/1958 – The new St. Paul’s Episcopal parish house is readied for dedication ceremonies as workmen put finishing touches to the interior. The new, semi-modern building replaces another parish house.
11/15/1958 – Ford City- 34 people have donated a gallon or more of blood to the Ford City blood program with the “honor roll” expected to increase after the coming bloodmobile’s visit.
11/15/1948 – In today’s headlines- Britain celebrates birth of first son to Elizabeth.
11/15/1948 – Andrew Holm, burgess of North Apollo, has resigned his post.
11/15/1948 – Members of Kiskiminetas Presbytery of the United Presbyterian Church will observe the 50th anniversary of its organization with a service in the Leechburg UP Church.
11/15/1948 – Henry B. Wible, prominent East Franklin Twp. farmer, is a patient in Armstrong Co. Memorial Hospital, where he was brought after a fall from the hay mow to the floor of his barn.
11/15/1943 – Armstrong Co. Probation Officer B.L. Barnhart, 76, of Kaylor, was killed when his car was hit by a Western Allegheny Railway locomotive on a crossing near Kaylor.
11/15/1943 – Harrisburg- PA became the 16th liquor monopoly state to ration whiskey formally.
11/15/1938 – Featuring Coach Art Mathes and the football squad as guests of honor, a “Victory Dance” to celebrate Kittanning’s win over Ford City will be held in the HS gymnasium.
11/15/1938 – Five fire companies raced to Manorville Mirror Works plant as a minor blaze at the lower end of the roof gave rise to fears of heavy damage and loss of employment.
11/15/1938 – Bids for construction of a 3rd floor control dam in the Allegheny River tributary system, on Mahoning Creek near Dayton, will be opened 17 December in Pittsburgh, according to present plans of the American Engineers.
11/15/1933 – John F. Bonner of Ford View has sold his cash store to J.T. Watson of Ford Cliff.
11/15/1933 – Rimersburg Union HS defeated New Bethlehem before a fair sized crowd, on a field covered by 3 inches or more of snow. The final score was 12-0.
11/15/1928 – Margaret Lucille Schrecengost, 15 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Schrecengost of Highland Avenue, died of pneumonia.
11/15/1928 – J.H. Moss has been appointed Justice of the Peace in Freeport by Governor John Fisher.