Parks Township Business, Apartment Gutted by Fire Saturday Morning

Walton Auto Body fire - 11/10/2018

Firemen battle a blaze in Parks Township Saturday morning. (photo and web video courtesy of Steven Matto)

The North Apollo Assistant Fire Chief alerted emergency dispatchers to a fire on the Dime Road in Parks Township Saturday.

Cliff Rearic was coming across the Vandergrift bridge shortly before 11AM when he noticed the smoke coming from the Walton’s Auto Body building.

“I saw a lot of smoke come out of the garage. I stopped and the whole front of the building was burning. There was an entrapment on the second floor and I rescued a lady out of the rear. I got the maintenance guy out of the shop and called for dispatch.”

In addition to the shop owner Dennis Walton, Rearic rescued 66-year-old Betty Wolfe, who had lived in the apartment since March.

Alternate Route 66 (Dime Road) was closed near the scene due to the concern that several propane tanks might rupture due to the blaze.

Volunteer fire fighters responded from nine companies including: Parks Township, Leechburg, Gilpin Township, Bethel Township, Burrell Township, Kiski Township, Kittanning Hose Co. #6, and Westmoreland companies Allegheny Township, Vandergrift #1 and #2. Oklahoma EMS ambulance also responded and several other companies were put on standby for those departments on the scene.

(videos provided by Steve Matto)