11/8/1968 – A new parking lot became reality as Kittanning Parking Authority turned over today the lot at South Water and Arch Streets to the borough for operation on a lease-back basis. Taking part in the ceremony were: Chester Cunningham, superintendent of public works; David Suckling, solicitor for both groups; Roger Stone, Authority secretary-treasurer; Thomas Christy, Jr. Authority assistant secretary-treasurer; J. J. Alexander, Authority vice-president; Howard D. McCracken, council president; Gerald Shuster, council vice-president; Herbert Toy, councilman; Anthony Savona, Authority member; and Jack Q. Vensel, councilman. The metered lot on the Allison property is the first major project of the Authority.
11/8/1968 – The Ford City High School football team will go with the same lineup tonight that it used in the concluding game of the regular season, according to Coach Don Mains. The Sabers play Richland at 8PM tonight at New Kensington Memorial Stadium to determine the runner-up spot in Section Two of the Allegheny Interscholastic Conference (AIC). The offensive lineup will be Ed Gladys, split end; Wally Elger, tackle; Derek Birch, left guard; Greg Baum, center; Don Rizzardo, right guard; Tim Miller, right tackle; Hal Altman, Sam Panchik, tight ends; Doug Charley, quarterback; John Pepper, wingback; Bob Buzzinotti, tailback; Joe Trimarchi, Kirk Ziegler, tailbacks. The team on defense will be Tim Miller, left end; Rick Wolfe, left tackle; Mark Mraz, Terry Tokarek, middle guards; Bob Duncan, right tackle; Sam Panchik, righ end; Bob Buzzinotti, Hal Altmas, Derek Birch, linebackers; John Brindger, John Pepper, Kirk Ziegler, halfbacks; Angie Rizzardo, Doug Charley, safetymen.
11/8/1963 – The Rev. C. Rodger Butler of Pittsburgh has accepted the call issued him by St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Kittanning, and will assume duties as rector of the local church on December 1.
11/8/1963 – Floyd Croyle is the new president and Russell Foster the new fire chief of East Franklin Twp. Volunteer Fire Dept. following the annual election of officers held at the fire hall.
11/8/1958 – A garage and equipment at Echo (Kittanning RD 5) was damaged to the extent of $300 during a fire. Charles D. Moore, Rural Valley fire chief, said the garage was owned by Neal Moore and the equipment by Ivan Cogley of Echo.
11/8/1948 – Ford City – One of the highlights of the annual American Legion Armistice Day banquet will be the presentation of a distinguished service certificate to Robert Claypoole. The boy saved Donald Kilgore from drowning the past summer in a makeshift swimming pool in an abandoned strip mining pit near the Pony Farm.
11/8/1948 – More than 300 people were in attendance at a monthly Hymn Sing in Goheenville Presbyterian Church. The affair was in charge of the leader, Harrison Boyer.
11/8/1948 – The bodies of 7129 American ones, including 4 Armstrong Co. ones who lost their lives during WWII, have been returned to America from Italy aboard the American Army Transport Lawrence Victory, the Dept. of the Army announced.
11/8/1943 – Armstrong County’s 4000 or more coal diggers joined United Mine Workers in western and central PA in a return to work movement to resume “all out” coal production after voting, with scattered exceptions, to end their 4th general walkout in 6 months.
11/8/1938 – Members of Company C, 112th Infantry, Ford City, will hold the opening for roller skating at their armory and have promised “one of the finest floors in the state with modern music, excellent management, and first class equipment”.
11/8/1938 – The Works Progress Administration has completed improvement of the Deanville School grounds in Madison Twp. The Deanville School Board sponsored the project in conjunction with the WPA.
11/8/1933 – I.D. Doverspike won election for sheriff, Floy C. Jones carried the county for district attorney, whilst R.W. McCutcheon was reelected jury commissioner in the election in Armstrong County.
11/8/1933 – Philadelphia- Prohibition repeal swept to victory in Philadelphia by a majority appearing to be more than 750000.
11/8/1928 – George H. Burns Sr. of Highland Avenue, Kittanning, died this morning.
11/8/1928 – Another well known Kittanning young man will embark in business under his own name when Kenneth Campbell opens “Ken’s Tire Shop” in a N McKean Street showroom, 4 doors from the post office, being vacated by M.V. Schall, local Dodge dealer.