9/13/1968 – A petition for approval of the Ellermeyer tract of land for use as a senior high school was defeated by a 4-4 tie vote at last night’s Armstrong School District board meeting. The senior high school would accommodate a maximum anticipated enrollment of 2,000 pupils in grades 10-12. The directors had voted in August to acquire the 142.8 acres in East Franklin Township that is located near the proposed intersection with the Allegheny Valley Expressway.
9/13/1968 – The 322nd Engineer Co U.S. Army Reserve caissons have taken a new five-year lease at the McCutcheon Bowling Lanes building along Route 422. The unit won’t leave its present site on South Jefferson Street until told to do so from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, who have arranged for the transfer.
9/13/1968 – Ford City policemen today announced their arbitrator between police and town council will be Stanley P. Czekanski of 7-5 5th Ave, past president of the Ford City Glassworkers Local 14. Irving Green of New Kensington, a Fraternal Order of Police lawyer, will be legal representative.
9/13/1968 – Students attending Cadogan Elementary School will be able to purchase hot lunches beginning October 1. The food will be prepared at the Ford City High School cafeteria and transported to Cadogan.
9/13/1963 – Congressman John P. Saylor today announced that Kittanning Borough will receive $33000 in federal funds under the accelerated Public Works Program to provide for a new recreational facility.
9/13/1958 – Kittanning Town Council held up a “go-ahead” on the lighting of the town’s new off-street car parks today, pending a decision on the kind of poles to be used.
9/13/1958 – Waiting room occupants at Armstrong Co. Memorial Hospital are assured of up-to-date reading, courtesy of Armstrong County Trust Co. The local bank this week subscribed to an agency installation which keeps current issues of numerous magazines in the waiting room.
9/13/1958 – The Kittanning Wildcats opened their 1958 season aggressively last night with an unpredicted 35-13 win over the strong Crimson Clan of Washington Twp.
9/13/1948 – George K. Peacock of 110 S Jefferson St., a long time Kittanning druggist, died at 8am in Pittsburgh.
9/13/1948 – Ford City- A new organ will be used for the first time Sunday morning in Ford Memorial Methodist Church. The organ is a gift from John A. Miller of San Gatos, CA. He presented the gift as a memorial for his father, Dr. Robert T. Miller, who was pastor of the church at the time of his death in 1902.
9/13/1943 – Heavy frosts of Saturday and Sunday nights did considerable damage to gardens and crops in sections of Armstrong Co.
9/13/1943 – The War Finance Committee for Armstrong Co. announced at noon today that American War Bond sales in the current 3rd War Loan drive in the county totaled $349,960.70. Quota for the country is $3,488,700.
9/13/1938 – Only 8 yards of concrete remain to be poured Wednesday for the esplanade on the right bank of Dam #9, on the Allegheny River above Rimerton, to complete construction of the 9th link in a series of slackwater projects in the river.
9/13/1938 – The freshmen class of Leechburg HS is the largest one in school history by 25 students, HS principal T. Edward Tench said.
9/13/1933 – A petition of Armstrong Co. commissioners for approval of plans for building an addition to the courthouse, to provide more office space for the county treasurer, has been approved by the court and the Grand Jury. Work on the addition is expected to be started soon.
9/13/1933 – Approval of only 7 more states was needed today to remove the 18th Amendment from the Constitution.
9/13/1928 – General John J. Pershing celebrated his 68th birthday today by receiving 4 foreign decorations at the hands of Secretary of War Dwight Davis.
9/13/1928 – Captain W.N. Cunningham, well known Ford City man and active worker in community affairs, was elected commander of Ford City American Legion post at the monthly meeting of that organization.