Historical Headlines – September 12

9/12/1967 – The future of the Linde Air plant at Kittanning will be determined by the cost of correcting an air pollution problem. The problem Linde faces is one of controlling discharge from its stacks called fly ash. Coal burning generators provide 90% of the power for the plant. Although modern when built in 1942, devices in old equipment are not adequate in preventing fly ash discharge into the air. A total of 200 employees work at the plant.

9/12/1967 – The Ford City Library now has a site for a proposed building approved last night by borough council. Council agreed to allocate a major portion of the newly-acquired property adjacent to the present borough building on Tenth Street for a library building. The property was formerly Elwood’s Garage.

9/12/1962 – The annual crusade of Armstrong County unit of the American Cancer Society hit an all-time high of $17,342.82 this year.

9/12/1957 – Frank Piluso, 735 North Grant Ave, Kittanning, reported he had grown an unusually large tomato in his garden this year. The vegetable weighed 3-1/2 pounds, measured seven inches across, and is 18-1/2 inches around.

9/12/1957 – Town businessman, Angelo Sgro, is completing construction of a two-story brick structure on his property behind Kittanning Sandwich Shop.

9/12/1957 – The Armstrong County Crippled Children Society voted in an annual meeting to give $525 to Armstrong County Memorial Hospital.

9/12/1952 – Rayburn Township school directors officially took over control of the new Spaces School. Board Secretary Henry Hudson said that directors hop to open the $150,000 building to classes September 29.

9/12/1947 – A large frame barn on the A. C. Shumaker farm, two miles east of Distant in Mahoning Township, with its contents was destroyed by a lightning-set fire.

9/12/1942 – Enrollment in Kittanning schools at the start of the 1942-43 term in down nearly 150 pupils from the total at the same time last year. Attendance in the Junior-Senior high school was 1,443 – a drop of 109 from a total enrollment of 1,552 at the end of the first week of the 1941-42 term.

9/12/1942 – Kittanning High School’s first football game of the 1942 season was played on schedule at Orr Avenue Field, largely through the cooperation of Kittanning No. 1 Hose Company. Something went wrong with the scheduled arrival of the 1,500 watt bulbs for lighting the field, and they never would have been in place in time had not Kittanning fireman loaned the use of the new 65-foot aerial ladder truck. Rimersburg inflicted a 7-6 setback on the Wildcats.

9/12/1932 – Isaac J. Cassel, 56, died at the home of James Polk, S. Grant Ave, Kittanning, 13 hours after being stricken with a cerebral hemorrhage while watching Hose Co No 6 baseball team at the Fourth Ward ball park.

9/12/1932 –Ground was broken last week on construction of a vocational school building at Dayton to replace a structure destroyed by fire some months ago.

9/12/1927 – Word from the Methodist Protestant conference is that Reverend H. I. Zook, who has been stationed at Rogersville, has been assigned to the Kittanning congregation.

9//12/1927 – A live raccoon was found in the Market Street upholstering shop of Jacob Leon.

9/12/1871 – The 18th President of the United States, Ulysses S. Grant, visited Kittanning. President Grant was president from March 4, 1869 to March 4, 1877. Old history describes townspeople’s rushing to greet “the General” at station.