7/18/1968 – The Pennsylvania Legislature cleared the way for purchase by the state of Armstrong County Memorial Hospital by appropriating the nearly $2 million required to pay for it. The 13-acre property is located in Kittanning’s First Ward. The purchase is based on assurance from Federal officials that U.S. funds will be made available to help pay for construction of a new community hospital. Four sites were proposed on both sides of the Allegheny River near interchanges with new expressway construction.
7/18/1968 – Water consumption here hit an all-time high with 1.9 million gallons used by customers according to R. Bruce Travers, resident manager of Armstrong Water Company. With the current heat wave, Travers said water usage is running well above the average 1.6 million gallons per day normally consumed at this time of year. George Daven port, superintendent of Ford City Borough Water Filtration Plant, said their normal consumption was 100,000 to 150,000 gallons per day during the summer months.
7/18/1968 – The United States Air Force announced the retirement of Lt. Colonel Edward M. Helm after 26-1/2 years of active duty. Helm, the son of Mrs. Jennie Helm of Cowansville, is a graduate of Kittanning High School and Robert Morris Business College in Pittsburgh. He is married to the former Mary Rose Fisher of Montreal, Canada, and has two sons, Glenn, 15, and Brian, 5.
7/18/1963 – Armstrong County Judge J Frank Graff today received the PA American Legion’s most coveted award- its Distinguished Service Medal.
7/18/1958 – The last day of Armstrong County YMCA Day Camp was marred when a pickup truck carrying 9 campers and counselors rolled over a 40 ft embankment, injuring at least 6 of the boys.
7/18/1958 – Howard Bowers has on display at Kittanning Elks home, where he is steward, a 17-inch Oriental radish grown in his home garden on Allegheny Ave, Applewold.
7/18/1958 – The Grand Opening of the Hilco Home Exhibition Center, on Leechburg Rd near Super 66 Drive In Theatre, is scheduled this weekend, according to Clyde L Coleman, regional distributor for the precut homes.
7/18/1953 – Kittanning Fireman’s Band won a $100 first prize in competition with senior bands from throughout Western PA at the Latrobe Firemen’s Parade.
7/18/1953 – At morning and evening worship services at Woodward Ave First Church of God, the Rev Howard Shaffer will preach sermons that will conclude a 7 year pastorate in the local church.
7/18/1938 – 7 children, including wee one twins, are without a home as the result of the death of their parents, in a triple shooting at Broadway Inn, 2 miles north of Leechburg on the Kittanning-Leechburg road.
7/18/1938 – Kittanning borough advertised for names and addresses of property owners desiring construction of new sidewalks in front of their properties. The borough has received approval on a Works Project Administration project for sidewalk construction, and will replace old walks or build new ones wherever property owners reimburse the borough for the cost of materials.
7/18/1933 – RJ Delahunty, chief clerk of Allegheny River Mining Company since 1916, was elected auditor and treasurer of the company.
7/18/1933 – Announcement of his candidacy for the office of county sheriff has come from Walter J Cable of Kittanning.
7/18/1928 – The Presbyterian Church here was the scene of the wedding of Margaret Kennerdell to Robert Snodgrass.
7/18/1928 – Eggs were selling for 32-cents a dozen on the wholesale market. Hay was selling at $12 a ton and wheat for $1.50 a bushel.
7/18/1928 – The 2nd anniversary of the riverbank park was celebrated with more than 1500 people attending the program.