5/17/1968 – John O’Marra, Assistant Postmaster General, told Congressman John P Saylor today that the postal service is aware of deficiencies of the present Federal post office in Kittanning. “We have received recommendations from our Philadelphia region to eliminate them. The proposal is being evaluated and we are hopeful that decisions on this matter can be reached in a few weeks.” The Kittanning office is a sectional center serving 50 surrounding post offices. The report showed crowded conditions, inconvenient facilities, and the need for improved parking facilities to accommodate the increased business activity.
5/17/1968 – The U.S. Army Recruiting Station in Kittanning announced the enlistment of ten new recruits from Armstrong County: Samuel Richard Maloney, ward of Mrs. Patricia Giron of Cowansville RD1; John Francis Anthony, son of Mr & Mrs. Roger Anthony of 320 McKinley St, Kittanning; William Charles Chestnut, son of Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth A. Chestnut of McGrann; Clifford David Bish, son of Mr. & Mrs. Clifford Bish of Kittanning RD3; Larry Eugene Stewart, son of Mr. & Mrs. Gerald P. Lorigan of Kittanning RD5; Mark Alan Dinus, son of Mr. & Mrs. Steven J. Dinus of 519-4th Avenue, Ford City; Robert Lorain Butler, son of Mr. & Mrs. George Butler of Templeton; Harold L. Moore, son of Mr. & Mrs. Walter Moore of Templeton RD1; Ralph William Gratzmiller, son of Mr. & Mrs. Ralph J. Gratzmiller of Avonmore RD1; and Mark Bradley Abate, son of Mr. & Mrs. Paul A. Abate of 2119 Park Avenue, Ford City.
5/17/1968 – Milk prices in Armstrong County were among the lowest in the state today.
5/17/1958 – Today’s headlines: Burglars Take Eagles Safe with $800; Entrance is Gained By Window.
5/17/1958 – People’s Bank of Ford City will move to partly completed quarters today and do business Monday in the new section of their remodeled bank.
5/17/1958 – The State Highways Department next week will announce offer of a public hearing on constriction anticipate don the Kittanning-Butler Road.
5/17/1948 – Reconstruction of a 150-foot section of the Allegheny River wall at the north end of Kittanning is underway.
5/17/1943 – The home of Mr. & Mrs. D. S. Townsend, Kiskiminetas Township, was almost destroyed by fire before Apollo firemen succeeded in quenching the blaze.
5/17/1943 – The Office of Price Administration announced that sugar stamp No. 13 in War Ration Book One will become valid June 1, and will be good for five pounds of sugar through August 15.
5/17/1938 – Eastern Standard Time Advocates polled 60 more votes than the Daylight Saving Tim force in Ford City Borough council’s special election at the borough building yesterday. The final results: Standard Time, 631; Daylight Saving Time, 571.
5/17/1938 – A cluster of runs in the second and sixth innings gained Kittanning High School diamondmen a 10-3 victory of Apollo High’s batters and the right to play Bell Township High for the section honors.
5/17/1933 – Miss Elizabeth Dawson of Ford City was awarded a silver medal in a district oratorical contest conducted by the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union in Ford Memorial Methodist Church, Ford City.
5/17/1928 – W. G. Sedwick, a well-known Kittanning citizen, died at his home on Orr Avenue.