4/22/1968 – In an editorial, a recent concert was discussed. “The Ford City Kiwanis-sponsored appearance here of a “name” band was certainly, if nothing else, an event for the over-40 crowd. And they responded – an estimated 1,500 of them. Hugo Montebell, who envisioned, then built Bel-Mont Arena still has his neck far out financially. But Friday night should have given him a little more confidence. Probably at no time in Armstrong County history had 1,500 people gathered for an indoor event for which they paid $3.50 a piece. But the Ford City Kiwanis Club was willing to believe they could do it. We need more such individuals and groups in Armstrong County who are willing to try.”
4/22/1968 – A senate bill to improve traffic in Freeport received approval from State Department of Highways according to Senator A. R. Pechan. “Traffic Route 28 north must now negotiate a left turn on Market and 5th Street and a right run at 5th and High Street. These movements are difficult to maneuver due to the width of the street and small radii. The Department proposes to improve traffic movements by the reconstruction of Market Street from 5th to 7th, and a new connection to High Street.” The total estimated cost of the project is approximately $87,000.
4/22/1968 – The Loyalty Day Parade will climax the week-long celebration of Loyalty Week in Ford City, sponsored by the VFW. The observance will continue from April 28 to May 4. A carnival will be located on 3rd Ave, between Ford and 11th Street and operate each evening. Highlights according to Leo Woyton are: April 28 Church Attendance, April 29 Children’s Parade, April 30 Street Dance, May 1 “I Am Proud to be an American Day”, May 2 Judging for the 26th District Loyalty Day Queen, May 3 Fish Fry and Dance, and May 4 Loyalty Day Parade at 2PM and Banquet.The parade is expected to be the biggest since the town’s observance of their 75th anniversary in 1962.
4/22/1963 – The Armstrong County Medical Society announced today that local doctors have a supply of new measles vaccine available for public use.
4/22/1963 – Ron Dillard, Ford City High School Junior, took first place in three events at the Indiana State College Invitation track and field meet and received the most valuable player trophy.
4/22/1958 – Among indications that Spring has finally arrived in Kittanning is the familiar sight of Ray “Toots” Dosch reading the riverfront park for the summer months.
4/22/1953 – It was announced that a dispute over proposed construction of a new elementary school in Kittanning Township will be aired next week in Armstrong County Court.
4/22/1953 – It worked this time! Sirens blew, motorists pulled to the curbs and turned off their motors, and pedestrians beat a hasty retreat to indoor shelters as the second state-wide air raid alert was held here.
4/22/1948 – A proposed enlarging of school areas will be discussed at a meeting of school directors from Armstrong-Clarion county districts in the New Bethlehem area.
4/22/1948 – The Kittanning Men’s Chorus will present a spring concert in Apollo High School auditorium. The Junior Class of the high school is sponsoring the concert.
4/22/1943 – Under provisions of the Heyburn reapportionment bill, the four-county combination of Armstrong, Jefferson, Indiana, and Cambria, formerly comprising the 27th Congressional District is split. Armstrong, Indiana, and Cambria counties remain together to form a Congressional District but the number is changed from 27th to 26th district.
4/22/1938 – Kittanning Borough waterfront park has a new lease on life as National Youth Administration workers, under direction of Borough Council’s Park Commission, went ahead with initial rehabilitation.
4/22/1938 – The Water and Power Resources board opened bids in Harrisburg for purchase and immediate removal of buildings on properties formerly owned by Earl Artman, Elizabeth Campbell, Roy A. Walter, and T.G. Miller on the Crooked Creek Flood control damsite at Tunnelville.
4/22/1933 – Yatesboro, through the interest of Helvetia Coal Company, will soon have a community room for use of residents.