4/19/1968 – Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians will play tonight 9PM till 12:30 AM at the Bel-Mont Arena in West Kittanning under the sponsorship of the Ford City Kiwanis Club, according to A. W. Senopole, the chairman for the event. The band will feature the Lombardo trio and the Lombardo twin pianos. Lombardo is part owner of the most luxurious hotel and supper Club on Florida’s west coast, Guy Lombardo’s Port-O-Call, on Tierra Verde Island off the coast of St. Petersburg.
4/19/1968 – PFC Frank Atherton, an 18-year-old Marine from Templeton, was reportedly killed in action while on patrol in Vietnam Saturday, during a mortar attack in Thua Thien Province. Atherton is a son of Mr. & Mrs. William F. Atherton of Templeton RD1. He was in Vietnam only a month when killed.
4/19/1968 – Armstrong County Planning Commission members last night tabled a request for approval of a sewage disposal system for Applewold Borough pending completion of the commission’s county-wide sewer and water study. Investigation will determine if Applewold and West Kittanning could enter into a joint venture for sewage disposal, and the feasibility of using the Kittanning disposal plant which now is operating under capacity. Applewold, with an annual budget of less than $10,000 was under court order to construct a disposal plant at a cost in the $100,000 range.
4/19/1963 – A school teacher whose pupils have included children from most families in the Dayton area has laid aside her papers and books closing out a teaching career of 45 years. She is Miss Margaret Condron of Dayton, who retired at the close of the last teaching year, 1962, after teaching 42 of her 45 years in Dayton.
4/19/1958 – Armstrong County Memorial Hospital directors planned today to proceed at once with expansion and modernization that will cost nearly $2 million dollars.
4/19/1958 – A $30,000 fire which damaged the publishing plant of Clarion newspapers will not prevent publication of the two weeklies, owners said this morning.
4/19/1958 – A contract for the construction of the St. Charles Bridge was awarded to Penn-General Construction Company of Pittsburgh on the lowest bid, $46,273, of four submitted to county commissioners.
4/19/1948 – Reverend C. Bowman began his ministry with St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Kittanning when he conducted the morning worship service.
4/19/1948 – William Swank, 70, from Apollo RD2, who was injured when a tree fell on him, died in New Kensington Hospital. He had suffered a broken leg and internal injuries.
4/19/1943 – James Porter of East Kittanning is a patient at Armstrong County Memorial Hospital where he is suffering from two broken legs and broken ribs received in an accident in the mines of Continental Clay Products Company.
4/19/1943 – A majority of the 52,000,0000 American wage earners began a new work week under rules which make it virtually impossible to change employment in order to increase earning power.
4/19/1938 – The state water and power resources board will open bids in Harrisburg for an immediate removal of all buildings situated on four properties recently purchased in the work area for the Crooked Creek flood control dam.
4/19/1938 – Home of crack basketball teams, Ford City High School this year has produced the runner-up quintet among western Pennsylvania Hi-Y clubs, result of a championship tournament held at Butler YMCA. Ford City’s representatives won three straight games before “playing out” against Beaver Falls and losing 44-22.
4/19/1933 – Spring housecleaning is underway at Armstrong County Memorial Hospital, where workers have been engaged to scrub the furniture, floors and woodwork, wash the windows and clean walls and ceilings.
4/19/1928 – The street car line between Ford City and Heilman Road, including Lenape Park, will be discontinued in a few weeks.
4/19/1928 – Work started today on the construction of a pool and fountain in the Kittanning Riverfront Park.