Sunday Morning Fire Destroys Applewold Home

Smoke poured out of all three floors of this structure on Sunday morning. Firemen worked while they waited for utility crews to come and disconnect electric and natural gas from the residence. 

A fire broke out shortly after eight o’clock Sunday morning at 305 Ridge Avenue in Applewold.

Kittanning Borough Police Officer Michael Bartosiewicz said he was on patrol on North Water Street when he looked across the river and saw the dark smoke. He immediately crossed the bridge and found the structure on fire. A volunteer fire fighter himself, Bartosiewicz assisted in initial operations as departments began to arrive on scene.

East Franklin Fire Chief Mark Feeney watched over the situation, directing fire fighters to areas of the home where they could safely work on extinguishing the blaze. At one point, fire was found in the basement that was eroding the first level wooden floor. Feeney had a crew use a basement window to extinguish the flame.

It took nearly two hours to bring the fire under control. It was reported that four cats perished in the home, but that a dog made it safely from the residence.

Fire crews from Applewold, Kittanning Hose Company #1, East Franklin, West Kittanning, and Kittanning Hose Company #4.  Worthington also came to Kittanning #1’s station to cover while they were on scene.