Leechburg Police Chief Nabbed for Solicitation of Sex with Minor

The events almost read as a bad script for a movie.

A beloved local police chief loses his arm at a firemen’s carnival attempting to shoot fireworks last summer. Emergency workers were able to keep him from bleeding to death by using a belt as a tourniquet.

Eighteen days after the accident, the police chief then marries his high school sweetheart. They have one child together.

On December 11, 2017, then-District Attorney Scott Andreassi welcomed the police chief back to a position on the Armstrong County Drug Task Force. Although he had a prosthetic arm, he was said to have qualified in management of his weapons.

Also on December 11, although qualifying to return to his job as a police chief, the Mayor said no and a dispute began. The community rallies behind him along with fellow officers in various municipalities. The council convened on December 19 and released a statement that they are considering reinstatement if he passes other competency tests, details of which they failed to make public.

Leechburg Police Chief Michael Diebold is now in jail in Westmoreland County. (Westmoreland County Jail inmate photo)

This has been the events of the recent life of 40-year-old Leechburg Police Chief Michael W. Diebold.

The story took a turn last Friday when state prosecutors arrested Diebold at the Sheetz convenience store in Lower Burrell for enticing a minor child in prohibited/unlawful sexual activity. As he was questioned at the Lower Burrell Police Station, the details of his private life came to light.

On September 15, 2017, an online advertisement with the title: “Dominate male police officer seeks fun, discreet, sub playmate – m4w.” In the posting later verified to be Diebold, it stated: “I am a dom male that is also employed as a full time police officer. I hope that does not scare you off. I am white, straight, good looking, clean, d/d free, mentally stable and fun. I can also host or travel. I do have pics to share and I am very discreet. I am looking for a female sub for ongoing play sessions. I do not have a set type of woman so any age, race, or status may email me. I respect all limits and you do not need to be experienced. I hope to hear from someone soon.” Diebold included his online chat screen name as “kutecop4you.”

Special Agent Daniel Block with the Child Predator Section of the Bureau of Criminal Investigations of the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General posed as a 14-year-old girl and messaged Diebold through online chat. On several occasions, Diebold was told he was chatting with a 14-year-old girl in the 8th grade. Diebold continued to chat and solicited the child for unlawful sexual contact. Diebold sent various sexually explicit photos of himself.

Diebold arranged to meet whom he thought was the 14-year-old girl at approximately 1PM last Friday. At approximately 1:10 PM, Diebold was taken into custody.

During questioning, Diebold stated that he has been utilizing the internet to post ads in the personal sections for the last several years. Diebold acknowledged to having conversations about sex with the other Kik online chat user, the purported minor that he was attempting to meet at Sheetz. Diebold admitted that he knew that sexual contact with a 14-year-old child was wrong and illegal, and stated that his life was totally over.

Diebold was arraigned before District Magisterial Judge Cheryl J. Peck-Yakopec. He was placed in the Westmoreland County Jail in lieu of $500,000 bond. His Preliminary Hearing has been set for Tuesday, January 16, 2018.

The weekend brought a solemn mood to Leechburg and surrounding communities. Fellow officers and members of the law enforcement community who originally stood with him through the past six months of turmoil were stunned and refused public comment.

Prayers were offered up at various churches yesterday for he and his family.

31 comments on “Leechburg Police Chief Nabbed for Solicitation of Sex with Minor
  1. mark says:

Opee? Opee? Elaborate after recess please!

2. Watchingfromadistance says:

I know he is guilty, he knows he is guilty, and so does the rest of the community. What I don’t understand is how Council Members, The Mayor, and an Attorney (which is also on Council) seem to think it’s ok to express their own personal opinions on social media.

3. mark says:

Keep your young ones close. He made bail last week.

4. blutoblutarsky says:

Opie- I don’t think Mark directed that comment to Mad on purpose. He must have accidentally hit voice to text during one of his “watering hole” meetings!

5. mark says:

So what exactly are you purporting Opee? Hmmm? Come on, no time to be shy now!

6. opie2 says:

I see Mark is hitting on Mad. Once again Mark, “This is not a dating site”!!!

7. mark says:

Marci, nope.

8. Marc says:

Mark (without a D), Can you please provide the KP readers with a link to the Lenape “night class English lessons” ?

9. mark says:

StillMad, I love it when you talk dirty!

10. mad-2010 says:

El Marko, simply put= watchdog= klavern. How solipsistic you must be! Remember the pancake? Over- Base! lol

11. mad-2010 says:

WTFlag, I read a report this morning that said out of the 34 killings by extremists groups in 2017, 20 people were killed by right-wing extremists! Can you believe it? Wow……

12. mark says:

Blewtoe, simply put, SSS.

13. mad-2010 says:

“Another liberal pig gets his just reward!” I don’t remember when depravity issues were limited to one political affiliation, enter Roy Moore!

14. jd718 says:

wavetheflag, How do you know the guy is a liberal? Maybe he’s a right-wing *hole?

15. WaveThatFlag says:

Another liberal pig gets his just reward!

16. mad-2010 says:

When El Marko starts his Over base endings he’s going all Western Psych on you Marc! Watch out! lol

17. mark says:

Yes Mark with a c or is it Marci without the i? Try brushing up on your english first. Lenape has night classes. Over base.

18. jd718 says:

“Mayor Wayne Dobos and two councilmen who could be reached for comment expressed shock about Diebold’s arrest.”
    “All I can tell you is I’m shocked,” Dobos said. “I don’t know what else to say.”
    “Newly elected Leechburg Councilman Chuck Pascal said he had no idea this allegedly was going on, and he is confident that no one on council or the mayor did, either.” Batter-up Markie!

19. blutoblutarsky says:

Mark, did you start your neighborhood watch yet? I wonder if your group of zany vigilantes has been able to haul any criminals in?

20. Marc says:

Mark- You’re saying I made the rules of the KP site? Wow, I had no idea I was so important.
    This one’s for you, since you enjoy French so much- Sans des gens stupides, il n’y aurait personne à qui rire.
    Good thing we’ve got you Mark!

21. mad-2010 says:

Wow Marko! “not moi! Parlez vous? Eh?” Wow! I had to look that one up! Wow…..
    “Maybe the mayor was in the know.” Just how did you come to this conclusion? According to all news accounts (W. Post, AP, Post Gazette, Trib.) of the incident, the Mayor was totally in the dark about the alleged crime. Tell us your sources, Marko?

22. mark says:

Now Marci, there you go again trying to “discuss” here. That`s not the game you wanted to play. Just ridicule! You made the rules here, not moi! Parlez vous? Eh?

23. Marc says:

Mark- You made a significant amount of stupid comments and a handful of people called out your lack of intelligence. You’ve been crying about it for months! I think you need to man up a little bit.

24. jd718 says:

“Follow the rules you have established.” I haven’t established anything, you’re Silly! lol
    The Mayor stated in an article in the Trib that he was caught totally off guard in regards to the child predator issue. Do better research before you type, “Follow the rules you have established.” lol

25. opie2 says:

We must all act like grown up adults in this blog. So, when is the next meeting at the watering hole?

26. mark says:

John Deere, [ the color fits] this is not a place to discuss, only ridicule. Follow the rules you have established. Duh! In the know.

27. jd718 says:

The Mayor wasn’t in the know, get a grip. The state Attorney General’s Office’s predator task force would not tell the Mayor of an on-going investigation. The disability issue with leechburg council had more to do with protecting leechburg with liability protection down the road.

28. mark says:

Ah ha! Maybe the mayor was in the know. What a mess…

29. cocobug says:

This is going to be a Law and Order SVU episode…

Feel bad for the family and community

30. cocobug says:

This is going to be a Law and Order SVU episode… So sad!!! I feel so bad for the family and community

31. cocobug says:

I bet this will be a law and order SVU episode…