Outgoing Supervisor Has Last Words

Manor Township Supervisor Bob Southworth shakes the hand of outgoing Chairman Paul Rearick. Rearick was thanked for his six years of service to the Township at the last meeting he will attend as supervisor.

MANOR – Last night was Paul Rearick’s final meeting at the helm of Manor Township. Following the opening American flag pledge, Supervisor Bob Southworth took a moment to thank him for his six years of service as a Supervisor.

“Since we cancelled the last meeting of the month (for December), this is Paul’s last meeting. Paul, thank you for your service to the Township. Good luck in your future endeavors,” Southworth said, eliciting applause from the residents in the audience.

Rearick was defeated in the November election by fellow supervisor Don Palmer.

Palmer, a member of the Manor Township Fire Department, had the unofficial endorsement of fellow members who turned out on election day to promote him.

However, Rearick was ostracized, often challenging the practices of the fire department.

At the end of the meeting, Rearick took the opportunity to express himself.

Supervisor Paul Rearick used the final portion of last night’s public meeting to go on record with his view of the fire Department. Last night was Rearick’s final meeting as Supervisor.

“This is on a personal note. I’ve been made out to be the Grinch towards the fire department. I am hearing these things on the street that I don’t want to support them. That is entirely wrong. I never voted not to fund anything that the fire department has come and asked for here. In fact two years in a row, I took money out of my own pocket and purchased hunts at the Promised Land Hunting Preserve for them to raffle off at their gun bash. The first year, everything was great. I was there. The winner was there, and he got his hunt. The second year, I wasn’t able to be there because I think I was actually guiding a hunt at the hunting preserve. I got a hold of (Fire Chief) Chad (Evans) and asked him who won the hunt. He said he didn’t know and would have to find out. So I waited and didn’t hear anything from him. I asked him two other times. To this day, I have no idea who won that hunt. So someone spent money for tickets. If this lady were to come forth today, she’s not going to get a hunt because they no longer do bird hunts.

“When you guys came and wanted the rescue tools, I offered to help you guys with a fund raiser at the hunting preserve. I never heard a word back, and that was over a year ago. Don (Palmer) made a statement in print that I wanted them to fund-raise in lieu of (the township) funding them. I never said that. I said ‘in addition to…’ I am not against the fire hall. I supported them 100%, and I wanted to state my piece here at the meeting. That is all I have to say about that.”

Fire Chief Chad Evans could not recall the name of the woman referenced by Rearick, but assumed responsibility for the mishap.

“The lady was there that won, but she never contacted us. I can’t remember her name, but we did know who it was. I totally blew it on my end,” Evans said.

Nearly a dozen members of the fire department were in attendance at last week’s supervisor meeting protesting the negative publicity. They said their books have been audited and everything is in order. They also offered to sit down with their accusers and review their financial records with them, but warned the meeting would take hours.

Rearick stated that he never voted against funding the fire department when the supervisors were approached for special projects. Most recently, the township supervisors approved more than $17,000 for the purchase of 2,500 feet of five-inch supply line hose. The money was taken from emergency services funds and was in addition to the one-mill of tax, $56,000, that the fire department already receives annually.

Rearick said that although he will not be a supervisor, he will continue to support the township as one of its citizens.

13 comments on “Outgoing Supervisor Has Last Words
  1. Rainbow Rider says:

Ladybird jensen , at least I, like most people, have the guts to answer the door!
    You better put a castle doctrine sign up by your chimney to keep Santa away!
    Don’t be scared!
    LOL
    Did you pay that fine yet?
    Our “well run outfit” of a County could use the money!
    LOL

2. steve says:

Jenny says, “I avoid reading your non-problem-solving garbage”.
    I’ve challenged him before and I challenge him again to provide an example of a problem being solved on this site. Not just by him, by anyone! I’m not sure why Jenny and “Mark” continue to think the comment section of the local blog is specifically here to resolve the issues of Armstrong County.

3. Marc says:

I can’t wait for the next episode of “Deep Thoughts by Jenny”.

4. jorn jensen says:

Rainbow Fairy, I avoid reading your non-problem-solving garbage, but I did catch your question on this topic and I do feel that it merits an answer.

Like Obama said so often, “Let me be perfectly clear.” LOL

Recall where Pat Fabian came from in his travel to commissioner – Manor Township supervisor.

When I made my comment about Manor Township being a well-run outfit, it was back when Pat Fabian was one of the supervisors. And when Paul Rearick was one of the supervisors.

Two out of three votes on a three person supervisory group runs the show. That’s all it takes. Just ask the West Franklin Township supervisors. So, one person that wants to control their personal agenda only needs one other ‘in his court’ – one that might be easily-led. The third one is a spare tire – doesn’t matter how the third one votes.

Back then, Manor Township repaired and maintained their equipment to control costs rather than constantly buying new, new, new. They repaired and maintained roads in the township without having their picture in the KP for fixing two whole road drains in a year.

When Pat Fabian was a part of it, it was a well-run outfit. When Paul Rearick was a part of it, it was a well-run outfit. Now, with a fire company takeover, we’ll see how well-run it will be.

I believe that the voters were not paying attention to the details, but will be paying attention when they get their local tax bill in the future.

I think it was disgusting to use fire trucks in supervisor voting campaigns. They did it because they know that voters are easily-manipulated.

I stand with Paul Rearick. He is right in telling the fire company to go earn some of their needed funds. That is not anti-fire department thinking – that is protecting taxpayers’ dollars.

Resident’s, and my question remain – who is the 3rd Manor Township supervisor?

5. Rainbow Rider says:

Ladybird jensen , you’ve repeatedly said ” Manor Township is a well run outfit “. What’s with all the critical thinking on your part now?

6. mad-2010 says:

“To paraphrase the Buddha – Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun; the moon; and the truth.” Zippity doo dah!

7. jorn jensen says:

Good question, Resident. Who is the 3rd supervisor? The three were Southworth, Palmer and Rearick. Now it is Southworth and Palmer. Who is number 3? Why would there be a Palmer/Rearick elimination if there isn’t a 3rd supervisor in the running? Maybe the libnuts have a brilliant answer.

8. Rainbow Rider says:

Would Santa take the risk that he’d have to take to deliver that lump of coal though? Given the behavioral pattern of that guy with the castle doctrine sign!

9. Marc says:

Rainbow, that’s too bad they’re gone. Scott was going off the deep end.
    Speaking of money, I wonder if Jenny paid that fine yet?

10. Rainbow Rider says:

Did anyone else notice that the comments on the November 17 North Buffalo Township article have been removed? Wonder why? 😉
    On this article I can see both sides of the fire department issue.
    jenny, does Manor Township Fire department even have a place to have a carnival?

11. jorn jensen says:

So, what’s wrong with a fire department earning its money through fund raisers? Other fire companies are experts at fundraising – Kittanning Township fire company is VERY active in earning money through fund raisers. Worthington West Franklin – same thing. Why can’t Manor Township bring in a carnival like WWFFD does?

Like has been stated before, be careful how you vote – a fire company takeover of local councils/supervisors will make it much easier for fire companies to be funded by taxes instead of hard work and earning the money. Using fire trucks in campaigning for supervisor seats? Really?

The people voted for this – just study your tax bill when it comes.

12. Resident says:

Isn’t there supposed to be 3 Supervisors? Now they have two? Did someone else run? Are they going to appoint someone?

13. sean spring says:

The “Good Ol’ Boy” network protecting it’s social club…gurgle gurgle….