Applewold Turns Out for Town Meeting

Applewold Mayor Gretchen Dosch welcomes the town’s folk that came out to a public meeting last night.

APPLEWOLD – Applewold Borough Council gave up their chairs and stood after more than 30 people were in attendance at last night’s public meeting.

The meeting lasted for more than an hour as the neighbors showed up to discuss vandalism, problem renters, and police protection.

For the past several years, Applewold Borough has paid for Kittanning Borough Police to handle issues in their town.

Resident Janet Dunbar said there have been several break-ins at her house. She said the individual has been identified by a witness, but is frustrated that nothing has been done to date.

“The woman was seen going into my house. There was a witness.  And nothing has been conveyed to me that anything at all is going on, and I am very angry! These people need to know that because it’s continuing to happen. This woman is continuing to wreak havoc on the neighborhood.”

Kittanning Borough Police Chief Bruce Mathews said he could not comment in an open forum on the case, but invited Dunbar to make an appointment at the police station to discuss it.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Kittanning Borough Police Chief Bruce Mathews discusses crime and lawlessness in Applewold Borough.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

“We are here now collectively as a whole so we can address these things and move forward and we can make changes. It’s a process,” Mathews said.

Dunbar said she is afraid to leave her house to go to work. She pushed for resolution in the case.

“As a citizen, I did my part. And since this happened to me, I know it has happened to four or five other people. Nothing is changing. It’s continuing to go on. It has been months.”

Carolyn Hancock said her concern was the number of vehicles that were not properly licensed.

“I see a lot of vehicles in people’s back yards, alleys, and they don’t have inspections or valid license plates on them. I’m wondering what we can do to clean up the borough and get rid of these vehicles.”

Council President Mark Feeney said a new ordinance that should be in place by next month will address Hancock’s complaint.

“We are enacting an ordinance for the cars. We are enacting two people  (Feeney and Mayor Gretchen Dosch) who can enforce. We go to the magistrate, we file the paperwork, we’re the bad people that (tells the vehicle owner they are in violation and gives them 30 days or face fines). We do know it’s there and it has finally come to where we are going to do it.”

Resident Carman Johnson praised the efforts by the police, stating she has had to call them several times and they responded quickly.

Resident Judy Kennedy had concerns about children running the streets late at night.

“With Halloween coming, I am asking for enforcing, or at least putting it out there to the parents, that children should not be out after 9PM. I grew up here as a child and (after) the nine o’clock curfew, you are at home. I think that is something we should encourage and promote.”

Several complaints centered around the rental property of Mike and Brittney Kinzey. They have had to evict several tenants due to issues within the community. Both were present at last night’s meeting to listen to neighbors who openly discussed their concerns with the Kinzeys.

Mike said they do background checks for their renters, while Brittney said they often get inaccurate information.

“These people are always nice to your face. You meet them, and obviously you can’t hang out with them for a month to find out if they are going to be good or not. You call all previous landlords and they tell you they pay and are great, because they want them out of there, so they pass them off. I try doing (background checks) as thorough as I can with people.”

The meeting was recorded and will be shown Thursday night at 9PM on Family-Life TV (www.familylifetv.com or Comcast cable channel 23).

Janet Dunbar says she is afraid to go to work since a person broke into her home. She is frustrated that the person has not been arrested yet.

17 comments on “Applewold Turns Out for Town Meeting
  1. Marc says:

I heard Trump didn’t realize he was the president of the US Virgin Islands. I really wish Rex Tillerson would take him up on the IQ test. Maybe Trump is banking on himself being some kind of idiot savant.

2. jerry6 says:

Rainbowman, you are a real sweetheart. Have a nice day. Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me. Love you

3. mad-2010 says:

Death is the ultimate consequence.

4. tiredoftheBS says:

Jerry 6 in response to your question about why these people aren’t arrested….. our “wonderful” PA government has given these people immunity from prosecution if they call for help, thus tying the hands of law enforcement. It is referred to as the Pennsylvania Good Samaritan Act.
    Initially the Pennsylvania Good Samaritan Act was in effect in an attempt to minimize injury and the loss of life in situations such as alcohol poisoning resulting from underage drinking for instance.
    In order to qualify for amnesty the following requirements must be followed:
    – The only way law enforcement officers became aware of the person’s violation is because the person placed a call to 911, police or emergency services, in good faith, based on a reasonable belief and reported that another person was in need of immediate medical attention to prevent death or serious injury.
    – The person calling reasonably believed he or she was the first person to call for help.
    – The person calling has provided their own name to the 911 operator, police or emergency services.
    – The person calling remained with the person needing medial assistance until emergency health care providers arrived and the need for their presence had ended.
    As of November 2014, Pennsylvania has extended Good Samaritan laws to include drug overdoses as well as underage drinking violations.
    Aimed at preventing drug overdoses in Pennsylvania, particularly in regards to heroin use, this new expansion to Pennsylvania law creates immunity from prosecution in many overdose cases. As Pennsylvania Good Samaritan laws apply to someone overdosing, law enforcement is prevented from prosecuting the person who called for help or the person overdosing. Police cannot act on information developed solely in response to the 911 or emergency services call for help.
    Narcan has become readily accessible for little or no money so there is no longer a fear on the druggies part of an OD. “Someone will fix me before I die” is the new school of thought. The druggies also are VERY aware of the fact that law enforcement can not “touch them” thus there is no criminal or legal fear either. Both of these factors combined, in my opinion, has absolutely made the drug epidemic significantly worse. Our government was so busy wanting to hold the hands and coddle these people, with the school of thought they need help and this is a sickness, they have created an atmosphere where there are no consequences.

5. Rainbow Rider says:

jerry666 , I heard Trump doesn’t like the brand of soda crackers they serve at the White House!!!
    When will be these scandals end??!!

Hey, your favorite holiday is coming up soon, what are you dressing up as? Oh I don’t know, Maybeee , Satan?
    As the church lady would say!
    LOL

6. jd718 says:

it’s an epidemic Jerry6 and it’s really bad all over the country.

7. jerry6 says:

I heard Coronel Wilkerson say this morning that we have been at war for 17 years and all branches of the military better get ready because we are going to be at war for the next 17 years and Korea is the biggest enemy. Also, I heard on my scanner last night that a 27 year old in Valley Twp. Had O.D. And the revived him with narcan. Why can’t they take someone like this yo jail because they are breaking the law with the drugs. Why should the taxpayers constantly pay for narcan to revive these druggies.

8. jerry6 says:

Trump called the White House a dump. His wife said being in the White House is like being in prison. Ivanka and Jared said they wanted to move back to New York and get out of Washington. Don’t let the door hit the whole bunch of you on the rear.

9. mad-2010 says:

He could get the chance to meet Frankie face to face! lol

10. opie2 says:

Could be busy getting fitted up for his new orange suit.

11. Rainbow Rider says:

What? No reply from jensen? I was waiting to gauge his response.

12. mad-2010 says:

Question: Can you (the landlord) write-off the $170 to the magistrate on your taxes? Also, I fell sorry for the lady that has someone breaking into her home off and on like that. Something should be done to stop that stuff!

13. Rainbow Rider says:

Sounds like jenny speaks from experience, what are you, a slumlord?
    I can understand Mrs. Dunbar’s frustration about a known law breaker still walking around. Look at jensen, nearly 10 months after his heinous crimes he’s still on the streets. Even putting himself in three parades! Where’s the justice??!

14. opie2 says:

More advice from Professor Pathetic.

15. jorn jensen says:

Interesting reading on the landlords. Mike and Brittney tell it like it is – getting a renter that will pay the rent before cigarettes, booze, drugs, cable and cell is a rare breed. And landlords are the ‘bad guy’.

These days, it isn’t just the renters that rake landlords over the coals – towns want you to have a ‘license’ to be a landlord and then they want an ‘inspection’ in order to be able to rent out a place (after you get the ‘license’), then, whether the renter pays or not, the landlord has to pay taxes on the place.

Take the renter to court for lack of payment, with good record keeping, and you win. You win nothing. You win the right to pay $170 to the magistrate and the renter promises the world to the magistrate. Case closed and the landlord is out $170 plus the time spent on it.

That is today’s society. After all, these landlords are always greedy, wealthy people, right?

16. tacraeb says:

I was raised there from ’44 until I left in “66…..Was a great place but driving through there it makes me sad to see how some of the properties look.

17. Rainbow Rider says:

Sorry to see that these things are going on in Applewold. It’s always been such a nice and pretty area with good people living there.