Ford City Kitchen Fire Quickly Extinguished

Both Ford City police and fire units responded to a kitchen fire along 3rd Avenue yesterday evening, but flames were extinguished before emergency crews arrived.

by Jonathan Weaver

A kitchen fire in Ford City’s Lower End was quickly extinguished yesterday evening.

The fire, reported to emergency personnel at 7:45PM at 210 3rd Ave., was due to cooking with grease on the stovetop, but the resident quickly extinguished flames, Ford City Assistant Fire Chief Bill Oleksak said.

“She had a stove fire – which she extinguished with salt,” Assistant Chief Oleksak said. “You can salt and you can use baking soda if you don’t have a fire extinguisher. She used quick thinking, and by the time we were here, there was no fire.”

Assistant Chief Oleksak reported only the stovetop was damaged during the fire.

“We took the stove out of the house, checked for any heat and cleared out all of the smoke,” Oleksak said.

Firefighters utilized a red fan to ventilate the home.

The homeowner did not need medical attention and was able to re-enter the two-story green aluminum siding building following the ventilation.

A crew of Ford City volunteer firefighters rode to the fire via Engine 2 as well as private vehicle.

Responding police officers left the scene at 8:08PM, and firefighters left shortly after.