Kittanning, PennsylvaniaLocal Weather Alerts
There are currently no active weather alerts.

Armstrong County Unofficial Election Results

County maintenance personnel unload voting supplies at the maintenance facility while election returns were turned in by election officials from each municipality. According to Deputy Sheriff Terry Bish, the first return came in at 8:26PM from Kittanning Borough – 2nd Ward, followed up shortly by Kittanning Borough – 4th Ward.

by Jonathan Weaver

The next U.S. Senator could be from Armstrong County based on last night’s election results.

In the national Senatorial race, Republican Tom Smith of Shelocta garnered more than 81 percent of the vote in Armstrong County, almost the same percentage in Indiana County and nearly 40 percent of the vote statewide to become the Republican candidate on the General Election ballot this November. He defeated three challengers from the eastern portion of Pennsylvania: David Christian of Bucks County, Marc Scaringi of Cumberland County and Steven Welch of Chester County.

Smith will challenge Democratic incumbent Bob Casey, Jr. – who had a challenge of his own against Joseph Vodvarka of Allegheny County Tuesday. However, Casey received nearly 75 percent of the left-wing party’s votes locally and 80 percent statewide to represent the Democratic vote this November.

County voters also chose Mitt Romney to contest incumbent Barack Obama in this November’s Presidential race. Romney also reportedly won the popular Republican vote in the states of Delaware, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York to boost his candidacy nationwide.

Voting materials had to be packed up from the County’s 68 voting districts at the close of last night’s Primary Election by county workers in the County’s maintenance garage.

Obama was uncontested on the Democratic ballot.

Locally, of the nearly 5,000 votes cast for State Senator, nearly all were for unopposed incumbent Don White. However, there were a reported-29 write-in votes against him.

Sixty-five write-in votes were also cast against Representative Jeff Pyle in the 60th Legislative District, but Pyle was unopposed on the Republican ballot and will be on the November General Election ballot. Democrat Jo Ellen Bowman of Kiski Township will oppose him then after winning the Democratic nod.

Rep. Eli Evankovich (R-54), Rep. Donna Oberlander (R-63) and Mike Kelly of Butler, representing the 3rd Congressional District also ran unopposed in their respective party, though Kelly will be opposed in November by Missa Eaton of Sharon who won the Democratic Congressional nomination.

The General Election is scheduled for November 6.

• By wakeup, May 2, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

CSMP – I agree. There is a false sense of security in this country that we are all too big to fail!!!!

That the Government will some how bail us out of any mess we get in too personally or as a nation! The entire banking/housing/car dealership mess solidified this belief in the back of many peoples minds.

It is that arrogance that you can spend what you want regardless of what your revenue/earnings are that bankrupts, people, businesses, communities and governments. The government will collapse if they cannot collect enough tax to support its expenses…….thats right the “rich” will bail us out they have plenty of money we can go after to to pay our wars, “free” health care, “free” government money, etc.

Guess what there will come a point you simply cannot make enough to pay off your debts from the years of spending more than you make. I wish people would wake up as well.

• By Ron Townsend Jr., May 2, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Bush is not the President anymore. If he made so many mistakes why hasn’t the great one fixed them? He has had 3 years. Just saying no one else has ever fixed a problem doesn’t cut it. Step up and do what you think is right, whether it be right or wrong, do something. Someone please name one thing Obama has accomplished that has been GOOD for this country. Taking out Bin Laden doesn’t count. The credit for that goes to our men and women in uniform. Politicians love to take credit for things they didn’t do and everyone else’s hard work. Neither does Obamacare, remember I said something good which I know is a matter of opinion. Somebody please give me one thing. I can give you a whole list of bad things.

• By Ron Townsend Jr., May 2, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

Lucky1
    I got no money from the stimulus plan. Not one penny. That money I was allowed to keep in my weekly pay check got taken back at the end of the year when I filed my federal return. Nasty little secret they didn’t tell you. And I don’t care who the president is, if you want to give me a tax cut I’ll take it. Lord knows I pay enough already! I am a Republican and not a hypocrite.

• By JornJensen, May 2, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

csmp – Somewhere, I read or heard that an ’empire’ lasts about 230 to 250 years (historically) until the people ‘bleed it out’. I concur with your statement regarding the road we’re headed down.
    You’ll notice that the conservatives on this thread are not ‘pushing’ a candidate – they’re just ‘pushing’ against Obama remaining in office. On the other hand, the liberals are pounding on Mitt Romney as they defend Obama.
    My personal opinion is that a cardboard likeness of John Kennedy or Ronald Reagan, sitting in ‘the chair’ in the oval office, could do a much better job than Obama. Obama would excel over the cardboard guys on the golf course.

• By csmp, May 2, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

Jorn I read or heard the same statement about empires also. We are right there pushing the 240 mark so we better wake up soon. I also agree that anything would be better than Obama. Except Romney that is. Or Newt. Or Santorum. The liberals on here shouldn’t really worry one way or the other when it comes to these guys though they are all backed by the same big banks or big corporations that have their own agenda. Heck, with the turn out at this past election I doubt many of the sheeple would even notice the cardboard figure sitting in the oval office.
    The government is not suppose to be my or anyone’s keeper.
    I am not a selfish person but I do know that I am the one that needs to look out for myself and my family. I am also a moral person that knows when the right thing to do is help my fellow man but that is my choice. Nobody should force another to do things, that is an act of violence that is an act of aggression. There is never a time in a humans life when they should take from another. We should only harm others when ourselves or our families are threatened. Now with that said think of taxes and the policies of our government these days. This world would be a much better place if morals where thought of more often. Right and wrong seem to slip peoples minds when taxes are involved. These people that think “universal health care” is the right thing to do. They should think of the money that is taken by the barrel of a gun to support these types of taxes and that is just one of many reasons why this guy and others in government should all be voted out. I sit back and always wonder when did us Americans forget about the greatest document ever written, The Constitution. This president and many in the last 100 years have forgotten the importance that it has. The details that our forefathers thought about when writing it are timeless. This great American experiment is all going to come to a halt the further and further we get from it. Everyone on here that supports Obama just look up all the unconstitutional laws and regulations that he has signed. Unconstitutional czars he has appointed. We live in a time with one of the greatest research tools ever available (the computer) use it. I know the main stream media wont inform us.
    I don’t care about the last president, this upcoming election will not have George Bush in it.
    I am sorry about this rant I am just so frustratingly fed up.

• By Interesting, May 3, 2012 @ 6:05 AM

The “cardboard cutout” is extremely appropriate because in many cases the President is just a figurehead. Oftentimes his hands are tied by Congress and he gets the fault as well as the blame for things that are beyond his control, whether he is a D or an R. Change must begin with our representatives working as a unit, which has not happened for some time and doesn’t appear that it will anytime soon.

• By JornJensen, May 3, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

csmp – Interesting. I read your post and I could have written it verbatim. And I’m as frustratingly fed up as you are. I certainly don’t want the government to be my keeper – I am responsible for myself and my family. Agree, the constitution is a timeless document – heck, they didn’t even have computers and texting back then. Not even cell phones, not even wired phones!

I was invited to attend a Romney/Corbett visit at Saureisen down at RIDC Park tomorrow – declined.

If Obama and Biden were going to be there tomorrow, instead, #1 I’d probably not be invited. #2 I’d decline if I were invited.

If they all came to Kittanning tomorrow, I’d go to Butler.

I’ll be speaking at the Capitol building in Harrisburg, on Monday, regarding HB1776 sponsored by Representative Jim Cox, the Taxpayer Independence Act – the act to eliminate school property taxes and replace them with increased sales and income taxes. I believe that school districts should be forced to live within their means, just as much as it is my responsibility to live within my means. I fully realize that property taxes give districts a ‘fixed income stream’ that they can increase at-will, within some percentage. And, that sales and income taxes with be a variable income stream due to fluctuations in purchases and paychecks. I won’t give up on HB1776.

• By JornJensen, May 3, 2012 @ 6:08 PM

wakeup – It is interesting that the liberals posting on this thread have not come forth with attacks regarding your two back-to-back posts of May 2 (11:09 AM & 11:39 AM)- surely there’s a way to blame that all on Bush or republican ‘obstructionism’. Surely.

• By mark, May 3, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

csmp, I have read and reread your posts on this issue.
    I admire your calm, logical, mature, patriotic, unattacking opinions. I could comment in a similar way if I didn`t read some of the other posts. Some people,I feel, don`t have their best interests in our country.We are , and have always been, the best game in town, the USA.
    I never got involved in politics until politics began getting negatively involved with my family and our future. It is indeed a pleasure to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

• By out&about, May 3, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Why is the thought of an empire ending such an atrocity? It is utter arrogance to assume that the U.S. Of A will exist forever. Please explain why this country is better than any that has ever existed.

• By mark, May 4, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

out and about, your comment doesn`t even deserve this reply.

• By ASDpayer, May 4, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

Good grief. Who says an empire has only 200 years. The Roman Empire lasted about 600. Others like the Third Reich just 12 years. We really haven’t been an empire that long. Maybe 70. We are still the richest nation with the biggest economy, and a few blips in the housing market or the unemployment rate do not diminish us. China with its billion people has an economy that is one fourth as large as ours. We’re doing okay, despite what all the politicians hype with their 30 second sound bites. Can we improve—sure.

• By csmp, May 4, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

Thanks Mark, now out&about I wouldn’t call it arrogance. I would like to hope that the most free Nation to have ever existed in history (opinion)keep on existing. I also am not afraid if it doesn’t as I hope to one day go to Gods Empire. But freedom, as I see it, is a “right” that we must never forget, and that I would hope to never live without. Without Liberty we have Tyranny. Which one do you really want. The Constitution is my answer to why this country is better than any that has ever existed.

• By wakeup, May 4, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

Out&about-the atrocity is the blood our ancestors shed to give people like you the freedom to spew your ignorance. The atrocity is you see nothing wrong with putting an end to all that was given up so that you may live without tyranny or oppression.

The biggest atrocity is you are allowed to live in this country …… In my mind if we forced people like you to leave and allowed those who respected all this country stands for to enter …….it would get back to that beacon on a hill that would last for ever!

• By scott_starr, May 5, 2012 @ 1:25 AM

@Outandabout:

I think the answer is that this country, in the document of it’s founding said that Right are guaranteed by our CREATOR, ( not government, a king, or anything else), Americans were BORN with these rights.

That is what makes it great, rights are not man-given they are endowed by a Creator…. one reason why atheisim makes me nervous, if our rights are not given by a creator, then they are given by man…. which means man can take them away.

• By out&about, May 5, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

Csmp… I agree arrogance was too much. Nice answer. I too appreciate what freedoms are afforded here, but I don’t rule out the hope that there might one day be something better. I also expected a response like Mark’s. The idea of change is very hard to accept for most people even when it will be change for the better. Often for good reason because most systemic changes cause a negative effect first and only then begin to show growth/gains/improvement or what ever you are trying to do.

• By mark, May 5, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

outandabout, explain this change that you see bringing growth/gains/improvement. Can you tell me what to do to bring this about. Our grandchildren are counting on us. I`ll ask you as I`ve asked other posters, please enlighten me. I`m very interested to hear about this. I hope you don`t let me down. I`m serious. No sarcasm. Thank you.

• By JornJensen, May 6, 2012 @ 7:23 AM

out&about- Your message is quite vague. Are you endorsing a ‘change’ away from capitalism to socialism? Are you saying that the change that we’re going through with Obama is change for the better? Are you defending the 3.5 year negative effect of Obama’s policies in the form that sometimes there’s a ‘dip’ (negative effect)ahead of the gain? Is this your message? Really?
    Please clarify.

ASDpayer – Our worldwide credit rating has been lowered under the current administration’s fiscal policies – that means less investment in us by others. Means that the dollar drops in worldwide value. Would you call that one of the “few blips”? Doesn’t that de-rating diminish us some? I think you’re still saying that we’re the best – that we can improve – and to that, I agree.

I have taught induction heat treating principles and practices in South American companies to very good people – very intelligent and very eager to learn – good management/worker relationships. I see South America as a coming world power (collectively). Argentina, Brazil and Chile have been buying (our dollar devalued, their currency worth more + good investment)up US manufacturing companies in the United States. Gerdau is one of those, Teneris is another.

• By Tankster, May 6, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

To Jorn & mark

Where have you guys been? Seriously, I ask this without sarcasm.

The writing on the wall have become very evident for several decades now. This is not something that sprouted up over the last few years. I think you need to look way back to the 60’s for the actual time when the shift began.

I have no idea about the opinions of out&about. I am giving you my opinion, so please do not take it that I am speaking for anybody else on this board.

When corporate interests entered into one what some say is a “collusion” with our governmental representatives, the shift began. It was the fleecing of America. It was hid under the anthem of “capitalism.” Now, I am not a supporter of socialism, but I am a supporter of some regulations. These regulations would mostly deal with the trade issues. This is where the shift began. If the American worker had a fair playing field, then we would not have saw the exodus of decent-paying jobs to Third World countries. Many of us were ignorant to this when it first began, and nobody spoke up because would be an attack on capitalism. This went on for decades and now we are seeing the product of what we have sewn.

Should we lower the standard of living in the United States?

Keep raising taxes to make up for the lost tax base, because we are now entering into an economy based on the service industry? The service industry jobs do not have very many decent-paying jobs. Where do we make up for the lost revenue? In the history of the world, there has been sovereign country which has a successful economy based on the service industry. Something to think about.

We can keep cutting services until the chickens come back to roost, but that is still not going to fix this economy and make us a successful and robust economy.

It comes back to decent-paying jobs.

We can lower the corporate taxes down to nothing, but then somebody is going to have to find out a way how American workers are going to compete with the very low wages and no benefits which are seen in the overseas economies.

The change has been occurring for decades. Look around you. This area itself in Western PA tells a whole story in itself. We know the industries are not coming back, but what have we replaced them with in regards to the void left in the overall national economy and local economy?

I have not seen an answer have you?

• By Tankster, May 6, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

I just wanted to clarify in my previous posting that there has been NO successful economy based on the service industry. Too many risks and factors.

• By JornJensen, May 6, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Tankster – I don’t disagree with you regarding the downward spiral we’ve been been in since the mid to late 60’s. And, I’ve been known to state on this board that we have the infrastructure to mostly ‘supply our own’, so tax all incoming products at ports and borders. Others have criticized me for this position of protectionism, but, with some protectionism, we could create jobs – jobs that have gone overseas. Look at Eljer Plumbingware – a toilet is now shipped 1/2 way around the world while we’re perfectly capable to make toilets here. So, tax Chinese toilets at 100% at the left coast ports and we’ll be making toilets again and the government can have a wonderful income stream.

Brazil has a ‘protectionist’ economy – companies must buy from Brazilian manufacturers – if a specialized product is not available on the Brazilian market, then a company may buy from out of the country, plus a tariff. That’s how I ended up working in Brazil for a while – no Brazilian comapny made the equipment that we make, so we were ‘in’.

Where have I been? I’ve lived it, and I believe mark has also. I think tourism is the last frontier for Armstrong County – need to think up some far-fetched scheme to fill the hotels steady.

• By out&about, May 6, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

Tankster … I think you hit on many of the issues at hand. I would include entitlement in your list … both the handout kind and the kind where people believe they deserve more than they can afford.

Jorn & Mark … I wish I knew the answer, honestly, for the sake of the generations to come. What it is we need to do, or where we need to (metaphorically) go? What I do know is that what we have now is not working. Virtually all levels of gov’t are broke both here and abroad and the only thing the system does is promote the system. I am not advocating a move BACK to socialism or anything else for that matter. I think we need to look FORWARD to something NEW. I began to admit to myself a couple years ago that we are more than a few subtle tweaks away from fixing the system we have. I wish I had the answer, but truthfully and sadly I have only more questions. I love this country, but wish my generation could make it better instead of what I’m afraid is quite the opposite.

In addition, I was not trying to explain away the last 3.5 years of losses in my change scenario, but it is true that change comes hard. I don’t like the vast new health care empire, but after being self-employed for several years know the struggle to take care of my family’s needs. Again…no answer only a question.

• By mark, May 7, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

Agreed problems started decades ago. Too much power in office. No accountability in most elected officials. Voters used to have say-so. Voters got apathetic. Officials got more power. Officials laughed about our apathy and legislated their way to where we are today. Voters didn`t squauk till it affected their little bubble they lived in. Squauking voters waited too long and the officials have legislated their way into the lions share of the voters.When they take our defenses away as the`re doing now, we`re done.We have become divided in my eyes. Taxpayers and entitlement receivers. Maybe disarm, divide and conquer?
    Excuse my simple terms but I`m a simple guy. Thank you.

• By JornJensen, May 7, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

Well, I think we all ought to meet at McDonald’s for coffee in the morning and see what other worldly problems we can solve……..

Back to election results, has anyone paid attention to the number of PA votes that Obama got in his 100% win in the democratic primary election? 95,000.
    But the ‘contested’ democratic races like senator and representative, votes were way over 95,000. Does that mean that some democratic voters are showing disapproval of Obama? Or, was there just no need to vote there as it made no difference? November will be interesting.

• By Tankster, May 7, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Well, mark, if you feel that way then it really does not matter who the president will be, because they are all striving for the same goal. What role does Congress play in this? And before we all beating the Obama tambourine, let’s remember, less than a decade ago, there was GOP president, a GOP Congress and a conservative Supreme Court and nothing changed. It just kept getting worse. The “trickle down theory” that Reagan lauded has been reduced to nothing more than failed logic. Clinton’s big economic boom was nothing more than a short dot-com bubble which really had nothing to do with him and bottomed out faster than it was established. We witnessed 09/11 and ti seems the bottom fail out of the country economically and we had Dubbya with his “you’re either with us or against us” polices followed by the Leader of the Great Change…Mr. Obama. Now, mark, you tell me, what is Obama or Romney going to do to bring about the change to get this country moving in a positive manner? Ah, yeah, do not forget about that pesky bunch in Congress. What good have they done for the American people? All those supposed great minds and nobody can formulate a good plan of bi-partisanship to start getting things in order. No, we will be bombarded with talk of gun control, abortion, religion, crimes, etc, to keep our focus shifted as we continue to play the little game of them having us believe that there is really is one good party looking out for us. Let’s talk jobs! Which side is winning on this topic? If you say the Dems or the GOP, you lose all credibility with your audience, because both sides have been bought and sold to out-source and streamline the jobs and opportunities of the American worker all in the name of profit no matter the cost and effect it has on the citizens.

• By wakeup, May 8, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

Tankster- your frustration is felt by many including myself. However, it is we the people that give these parties this power with every new or expanded government program we support. We want the federal government to take care of us, the environment, the poor, health care, our retirement, prescriptions drugs, etc etc etc. We cannot ask the federal government to “take care” of us the turn around and cry they have too much power.

Same goes for taxes….The Federal Government is just a broker that uses our money to play the wealthy uncle to buy votes and power through “free” government programs!!

I do not care what party people think they belong too….stop growing the size of the federal government….in fact shrink it before it is too late!!

• By mark, May 8, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

wakeup and tankster, agree with you both but now we have reached a point in this discussion that happens in almost every issue. Everyone has submitted their opinions on whose fault this pitiful state of affairs is. I see nothing that this administration has done yet to resolve it. If they have, please tell me what it is.
    Next, I agree that both sides have faults but both sides have ALL the power. The miracle man, whoever they might be, cannot do battle with the two big guns.
    Again, we as apathetic voters from the past have allowed this to come about.
    Outandabout suggested I don`t understand we have to suffer some before positives come about but I think we have suffered enough and asked him or her to suggest what we can do… no answers from that question.
    We as voters only have limited choices in this election and they are Bad or Worse. We only think we have a say but we really don`t.
    I fear a separation of the country, which might be a good thing, or a crash or collapse.
    Whatever happens is out of our control and has been for many decades.
    I`ll prepare for the worst and hope to be surprised. Thank you.

• By JornJensen, May 8, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

wakeup – Two thumbs up for your post of 9:27 AM, Tuesday, May 8, 2012! Best post out of the 76 posts.

If the government ‘takes care of’ enough of us, we become ‘subjects’.

Look at Murtha amphitheater – John Murtha got us the money to do that. How much of each tax dollar that we paid came back to us in the form of this earmark (pork)? 17 cents? Thanks, but no thanks.

• By Tankster, May 8, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

wakeup & Jorn,

I also agree with your opinions on smaller and limited government. The thing that makes me worrisome and somewhat paranoid is that the job situation is what has opened the doors for the opportunities to expand and grow bigger government. It seems to me that there is an authority or power out there that may be getting exactly what they want. None of this making sense and that is why I am thinking this may be a move to knock down our standard living. Remove all of the smooth talk about how those “free” trade agreements will allow Third World countries to boost their standard of living. I believe the opposite has occurred. We are moving, also….except we are moving down to meet those other countries.

We can complain about the size of big government and want it to be smaller, but that is just a by-product of the much bigger problem. The problem is jobs!

I am probably older than most of you on here but if you look back when there was industry in this area. There were people who would be characterized as being challenged or disabled employed by places like Eljer and PPG. they made good lives for themselves, because they did not need to be rocket scientists, the job paid good wages and there was no reason for them to look for any type of assistance. they were probably also more satisfied. If we believe in all of this baloney that everybody will have to be mathematicians or biologists to get a decent job and make decent money then we are going to leave a large number of people behind and somebody will need to support them.

Smaller government is a goal, but the much bigger goal is turning this issue around with the jobs. The trade is probably one of the most critical, if not the most critical, issue that needs addressed quickly, and this issue is always pushed to the side by candidates. they sprinkle in a few buzzwords like they did about reviewing NAFTA, but nothing is ever done. We keep coming back to that we live in a global marketplace. Well, who put is in this global marketplace? Let’s get out of it. We got in it, so why can’t we get out? Maybe because we owe money to the big players in the trade game.

mark, there is no BAD or WORSE….they are the same. Don’t believe me…just look back over the last two to three decades. It really does not matter. As far as administrations go, they are not the problem. The biggest problem facing us is reforming Congress not changing presidents.

• By mark, May 8, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Tankster, but doesn`t one encompass the other? Sometimes when you flush, it doesn`t all go down. Huge problem that takes years to solve but I still haven`t heard from the present leader`s supporters as to what has this man has done so far? 5T more debt, no jobs, bailouts, more boys die with no agenda, and yes past leader did a lot of the same but where`s “The Change?”Not sold at all on this dude. Wanna flush again and take my chances. Absolutely no positives with this administration. None, zero, zip! If you see something I`m missing, tell us. Thank you.

Other Links to this Post