Elderton Celebrates Its High School Reopening

Acting Assistant Principal Charles Shoop stands outside the entrance to Elderton Junior-Senior High School greeting students as they arrive for the first day of school yesterday morning.

by David Croyle

A community turned out yesterday to celebrate the reopening of its high school.

Dozens of the town’s people shook hands and applauded as students came off the busses at the Elderton Junior-Senior High School.

Elderton’s Acting Principal Rox Serrao told the WTYM Morning Show yesterday that it was an exciting time.

“Everyone was celebrating. It was wonderful! Everyone was excited. The staff was ready. There were balloons out front welcoming the students, the teachers and all the staff. There were huge banners out in front of the school. Elderton High School is on the prowl and ready to go! The kids were being greeted off the busses like celebrities from everybody. People cheered.”

Serrao commended teachers for their efforts above and beyond the call of duty.

“They are very excited. We had teachers here every night late. I had asked Administration and they were cooperative in giving us extended time to keep the building open for them. I did a walk through Sunday night. Every room was immaculate and ready to go for learning. Teachers have all their materials. They were coming to me making requests all in the interest of the students. It was great!”

The back-to-school celebration for the first day wasn’t an easy task as the acting principal took preparations very personally!

The Elderton "Bobcat" greeted students as they got off the bus yesterday morning for the reopening of Elderton Junior-Senior High School.

“When you start blowing up 500 balloons, it takes awhile. Then we had worry overnight about them deflating. One of the things that was on my head last night was ‘Are my balloons going to be okay today?’ And they were! It was so hot last evening that some of them would pop. I secured a tank of helium on my own for the building and each teacher put some helium balloons in their classroom to welcome the kids.”

The town’s people turned out as if it was a grand opening for a new business.

“Education is business. It is serious business. They are taking it very seriously,” Serrao quickly responded.

The Armstrong School District school board voted last December to reopen Elderton High School after the previous board voted to close it and route students to the three other local high schools.

As the acting principal, Serrao said he is not getting involved in the squabbles of politics that have surrounded the reopening of the school.

“I have put all that aside and I am focusing my energy on the task at hand. I have talked to the teachers. We are open. Here we are. We are making it the best for the kids. That is exactly the sentiments and the climate. There is a real good energy in the building. I like it! I can feel it from the kids that are coming up and saying hello to me and introducing themselves and I am introducing myself to them. You can feel that positive stir as the kids came in.”

Serrao said two school board directors were also visiting the school as it reopened yesterday.

Family and friends turned out to welcome students back to Elderton Junior-Senior High School yesterday morning.

• By dawgfood, August 31, 2010 @ 1:01 PM

Dozens, eh? That’s more than the graduating class this year.

• By sickofitall, August 31, 2010 @ 3:28 PM

Nice to see that the main concern at elderton was whether or not the ballons would be okay. Guess that sums up what the people of elderton feel about education. Stupid is as stupid does! ’nuff said.

• By AStudent, August 31, 2010 @ 5:28 PM

I would just like to point out that none of the other schools has a community so dedicated to educational excellence at their school on the first day of school that they would stand outside the doors cheering on the buses as the students came in!!! Mr.Serrao is the best principal in this district right now even though he is just considered an “acting principal” personally I feel he has done a better job so far than the dumb baboon that was running the place before….. That was the BEST first day of school I have ever had in my whole school career and I have a feeling this year is just gonna keep getting better and better… You can all whine and pout about Elderton being open… but while you are crying yourself a river (or a swamp depending on your location in the district!)…..We’re on the rise… while your schools standards just keep slipping!

@ Sickofitall…. Yes stupid is as stupid does… which explains your ignorant posts!

• By phoenix, August 31, 2010 @ 8:04 PM

If you call blowing up balloons and handing out pencils a better job, then he is the greatest principal ever. Give me a break kid. Perhaps in the other areas the parents and members of the community were doing other things, like working! Glad you had a good time yesterday with your rock star entrance into school, I am sure this will raise test scores.

Can someone answer me this: What makes Elderton so special? A young man was quoted in another newspaper (will not mention the name because the admin might get upset, let’s just say it is a “Leader” in these “Times”) that Elderton “Is a better place to learn.” Funny, I did not know brick and motar and balloons and pencils can teach. So, what is the common denominator from last year to this year? It is the teachers. So the teachers that went back to Elderton form the other schools are changing? If they were not better to learn from last year, what makes anyone think it will be better this year? And are you saying the other teachers not at Elderton are that bad? I would think our school board would be more interested in looking at its teaching staff instead of its buildings.

But hey, balloons and pencils will win you principal of the year. I hope the rest of the principals in the district are paying attention. This is how you will improve your schools, just follow the example of this principal. Makes you wonder why people go to school for all of those years to get an education degree when any 7th grade student can think of this.

• By Mike Fichthorn, August 31, 2010 @ 8:44 PM

What high school standards can you have if you cant even offer most of the classes that other schools can?
    I’ve seen the Elderton people beating their chests and waving their balloons because their run down building was re-opened.
    Take a picture and see if those morons are dancing and applauding when they get their tax bills for re-opening that mess.
    Other than community pride and loving that awful shade of green, I have not heard one legitimate argument to re-open that school that graduates 30 kids. If you presented what this board has done to any group, anywhere in the country…people would just laugh and shake their heads… thinking this came out of Hollywood… the next great comedy.. What a joke.
    The laughing stops when we get our tax bills the next couple of years.

• By DANBOY, August 31, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

AStudent:
    Did you come up with “dumb baboon” yourself or did you hear it from someone in your community so dedicated to educational excellence that they were standing outside cheering on the busses as the students came in !!!
    I wonder if the School Directors present will be at Kitt Twp the day that school is closed??

• By Elderton Parent, August 31, 2010 @ 10:32 PM

DANBOY, is it really necessary to comment to a student that way? Geez!

• By realisticone, August 31, 2010 @ 10:48 PM

I’m really mad!!! My directors didn’t show up for my school opening. They never show up for my school opening. I guess it’s expected that the biggest secondary school in the district runs “business as usual” when school starts. When is Elderton’s first football game? Did they have a chance to get those kids the opportunity to play football? When is the Elderton Band doing a half-time show with music and moving and drill pages and band camp and all that other bonding stuff? All school in the ASD are equal aren’t they? What musical is Elderton doing this year? Ford City and KHS did one. Why do the anti-consolodationists’ claim victory with Ford City, Elderton, Kittanning and W. Shamokin still existing while KT closes for Elderton Elementary and the plan of KJHS going to KHS (can’t fit, can’t be done JIMMMY) continues to be part of the equations. Closing buildings to save money and increase attendance in different areas is still CONSOLODATION!!!! Doesn’t matter whether it’s elementary or secondary. PS>>>remember the de-bacle of 1991-1992 was not a consolodation – no buildings were closed, no staff cuts, no combining of services just busses passing each other day and afternoon transporting Jr. High Kids to Ford City and Sr. High Kids to Kittanning. THIS IS CALLED A ‘CROSS BUSSING.’

hOW ABOUT a 4 day 10 hour work week.
    Save bussing. (didnt’ see that in the smith plan)
    Save food costs.
    Save energy costs
    Save snow days
    use Fridays for In Service and Snow make ups.
    Be done in late May/Early June like normal schools.
    Can we have in service days at Elderton after the 24 million dollar renovation?
    Hey Elderton Seniors – How was that scheduling thing working for you? Pretty tough getting into Chem II, Physics II, Trig. Algebra III, Chorus, Band, AP English, Ap Calculus, AP Bio. and don’t forget lunch

• By realisticone, August 31, 2010 @ 10:51 PM

PS…I forgot…those are acting principals the operative word is “Acting” In other words they couldn’t get anyone that was in the system to take the chance to go to the new opening of the building.

• By sickofitall, August 31, 2010 @ 10:52 PM

Astudent aka derek: just because you could not get along with kids at shamokin is a very selfish reason to go out of your way to help to make sure that none of the other kids who did get along, were happy and wanted to stay wereFORCED to go back. You are the epitome of what is wrong in elderton…selfish, self-centered, me,me me and the rest of the district be damned! You deserve the balloons and pencils…hope they weren’t paid for with taxpayer money! The rest of the teachers and principals in ASD will focus on what is important and WHAT THEY ARE PAID to do…..EDUCATE kids, NOT entertain them. Next thing you know elderton will be hiring more clowns and jugglers for the kids, that will help your test scores and to get you ready for the real world, however if you stay in elderton those things will be perfect for you just don’t try working or living elsewhere or you will be trying to sue the rest of the world to make them like elderton. You have a good year now in your little ” stepford” town, use your pencils wisely!

• By DANBOY, September 1, 2010 @ 5:39 AM

sickofitall:
    I cannot wait to see Elderton Parent’s response.
    GEEZ!!!

• By CHAZ, September 1, 2010 @ 9:56 AM

I have sat back and listened to people run their mouths about Elderton being Reopen and I must say now I know why the kids these days act like they do! They have wonderful rolemodels. When I moved to Kittanning Twp. a few years ago I moved there so my kids would go to Elderton. FYI taxes would go up no matter what. Ya know that’s something that does happen occassionally. Big schools are NOT the answer for all students. I don’t think that for 1 minute anyone was thinking of the kids, you were thinking of yourself. I have 3 children 2 have disabilities so why don’t we try putting my 12 year old with severe autism in KHS or FCHS and see how long you feel that that is best for her when you kids come home beat up because she can’t handle a lot of people being around her. My 13 year old went to FCHS last year and I have never been so glad for school to end! I must say the 2 days at Elderton and I can see such a difference in her. She actually loves school and this a student who wanted to stay at Ford City. She seen that her mother knows what’s best. I’m not saying that big school are not good it just not the answer for all students. I’m sure not 1 of you would like it if they closed Kittanning or Ford City and we pay our taxes just like the rest of you.

• By eldertongrad02, September 1, 2010 @ 10:36 AM

To all you selfish people,
    What does it matter if Elderton is open again? I personally think that it was a great idea to do so. There is a lot of history with the school, as with any school for that matter. Elderton is a great community and I think that it is an awesome area for students to learn. What does the principal having props to encourage the kids have anything to do with learning? The point behind it was to warmly welcome the students back and show them that they (principal and staff) care. Encouraging students to learn is a great tool to use. All you haters are just made because, there were no props welcoming students back at any of the other schools in the district. As far as the football team and band. I can think back to my high school years and Elderton marching band was always taking home a trophy. What about the other schools that actually held a band camp? We are not in the 70’s anymore people. Do you really think kids are going to go to band camp during their summer break? A football team is another story. I know that those who wanted to play football were being placed on the West Shamokin team. The reason behind that was because there were not enough students interested in football to start a team. So quit your sobbing like a new born baby and get over yourself. School taxes are always going to keep rising no matter what you do. We are a growing economy and with that, things are going to continue to increase in price. Is this something that we really want to bicker over because we have to pay a little bit extra for children to go to school? If this shoe fits you and you have children, then home school them! And just a side note, I know that while I was there, Elderton Jr/Sr High School was scoring the highest on state tests in the school district! Move on with your lives people, at least these kids will not have to ride a school bus for hours just to get to and from school.

• By slaaga, September 1, 2010 @ 10:39 AM

sickofitall,
    What scares you the most? The fact that Elderton stuck together and was able to re-open the school, just like they said they would… or the fact that not everyone shares your opinion.
    Although you maybe sickofitall… I assure you, there are plenty of people who are sick of over opinionated, pompous jerks who insist on trying to ram their believes down everyone else’s throats.

• By Ron Townsend Jr., September 1, 2010 @ 10:46 AM

I am also opposed to the reopening of Elderton because of the financial burden it will place on us, the taxpayers. But, there’s always a but, there is no need to resort to the name calling and little jabs that both sides are making towards each other. Those opposed to Elderton, please remember that this is there community school. Most of them graduated from there along with there parents before them. They take pride in there school. I have many relatives in the Elderton area and they disagree with my opinion of keeping it closed. For the record I live in the Kittanning area and graduated from Kittanning/Lenape and please note I am not hiding behind a username. I am not afraid to stand behind my opinion and beliefs.
    You talk about the deplorable condition of Elderton HS, have you seen Kittanning and Ford City High School? Not much better on either account. The whole district with the exception of West Shamokin is in deplorable condition. Now this isn’t an attack on the parents or students of Kittanning or Ford City, this is directed at the school boards, past and present. They have let the situation get to the point it has. We also have no one to blame but us. We are the fools that voted for these directors. It seems like they are the ones still in high school. Always squabbling between each other about every little thing. We need a school board that is willing to work together and be fiscally responsible and make sure that OUR children get a quality education. That should be the goal of all of us. So let’s not stoop to the level of our school board. Let’s set a goal of doing what is best for our district and our children and do it in a constructive way. By creating this environment of hate and animosity we will achieve nothing but more of the same for the next 20 years. Granted, you have never seen me at a school board meeting, I can’t go. I have to work to pay the ridiculous taxes levied from every level of our government, not just Armstrong County property taxes. But I do follow the goings on very closely in the papers and the district website. We need to form a committee of parents and taxpayers and take back OUR school distinct. Concessions will need to be made on both sides. In closing, we are all adults, please act like one. Come November, get out and vote and be very careful with your vote.
    P.S. Adam Scaife, I would be willing to work with you in starting some type of committee or group outside the realm of the school board if you are interested. You seem to have been a voice of reason on here. This goes for parents and taxpayers on both sides of this issue. Please be willing to talk constructively. We can work out contact info if there is any interest. I will follow this post.

• By rudytuesday, September 1, 2010 @ 11:10 AM

To those of you calling those of us cry babies answer these questions. I’ve asked them before but no on will answer them.

Why do EHS children have 1000-2000 more spent on them per student on education?

Why do EHS students get to have a 9-1 student to teacher ratio?

That is a slap in the face to all the other students, in this district that have less money spent on their education and are in MUCH larger classes.

Answer this? Are you not concerned that you have two teachers, of the same level, on the same pay scale, one teaches at EHS, one teaches at KHS. One may teach 7 classes and the other 4-5 and in those classes one may teach more than 25 kids and the other 9. WOW. That’s real equal. That, is called a WASTE OF TAXPAYER MONEY!

So Elderton folks, other than your standard “We deserve a community school answer” why are YOUR students so special that so much more money is spent on them? What makes them different thank FC, Kitt, and WS? Seriousl, I would like an answer.

• By reed619, September 1, 2010 @ 11:41 AM

@Chaz
    What an interesting comment..”FYI taxes would go up no matter what. Ya know that’s something that does happen occassionally.”
    Isn’t it funny how HERO told people in the Elderton attendance area that their taxes are going to go up if they remain in ASD as one of their scare tactics, to get them to sign the petition to secede.
    Guess it’s ok for taxes to go up now since the people that they want are on the school board.

Btw, are you equally outraged those 5 board members voting to close Kittanning Township Elementary? I know most of KT residents are furious about it, after being lied to by HERO, and continue to be lied to…read the first comment

• By reed619, September 1, 2010 @ 11:45 AM

That comment by Ms Byers was posted 2 days after the current board majority voted on the resolution to close Kittanning Township Elementary.

• By reed619, September 1, 2010 @ 12:09 PM

I thought I’d better copy and paste the fb comment that I mentioned, in case they delete it..

” fyi…the board did NOT vote to close KT. EE does not have enough room to absorb all of the kids from KT. Im not saying that KT wont ever close. Its just not happening now.”

• By Mandy Wrighter, September 1, 2010 @ 12:56 PM

@sickofitall ~ there you are once AGAIN picking on kids!! You would think you would have grown up by now…and of course still hiding behind that screen name, huh? What a shame.

• By slaaga, September 1, 2010 @ 1:21 PM

To rudytuesday,
    You need to play fair. My daughter goes to Kittanning Senior High and has one class that has only ten students and another than has 14 students. If you want to compare schools, thats fine, but dont just compare the extremes. Its that kind of thinking that gets every one ticked off and at each other’s throats.

• By CHAZ, September 1, 2010 @ 1:24 PM

@reed619
    It’s funny that you would go off on the whole KT closing because btw either way we lose. I can deal with that! My kids do move up a grade every year so they will leave elem. Where as high school is suppose to be the most critical time for students as far as making the grades to move on to college. As far as Hero goes never attended a meeting for them. Just so everyone is clear I graduated from KHS class of ’95 so the whole because the parents went to Elderton does not fit in my situation. If numbers of students in the school is the BIG thing maybe the district needs to listen to what I have been telling them and move the lifeskills and autism support classes to Elderton.

• By todd, September 1, 2010 @ 1:38 PM

eldertongrad you nailed it. It’s not the 70′s anymore there is nowere near the students their were and even less jobs for the parents to get a paycheck to pay taxex whith. We must 1st provide the best education we can so our children can have a chance in this world ( when they leave to find jobs) 2nd we must provide a school or schools. If we need to build one or close one to keep it them full and cost efective so be it. But we must stop wasteing money on studys openings And Closeings . School Board do the job you were appointed to do.And Realisticone a 4 day week would save money and the school year is to long someone should look in to that while their in between openings and closeings.

• By Jan, September 1, 2010 @ 1:38 PM

To Ron Townsend,
    I agree with about everything you are saying. I’ve been posting here for quite some time, and yes, at times I have made some comments that probably would have been best “unsaid”, however,being human, when we are faced with the hideous decisions that this current board of 5 have made, one can’t help but get over-emotional. You made the comment that the community of Elderton takes pride in their school, just as every community does. I don’t care about the balloons and celebration that EHS had on the first day of school- glad they felt the need to celebrate,however, as they celebrate their victory, as you stated yourself, the rest of us in this district will be paying for this for many years to come- and it was a senseless use of tax dollars- and I would say this about any school in this district that re-opened to such low numbers, and the under-handed way that this board went about it.They manipulated transfer request, and totally ignored the the economics of it all- and to date, still can not tell us the total amount of money spent to re-open this school. I think that we have all said just about all there is to say on this matter- everyone has had their opinion and made their digs- now it’s time to become pro-active and make the necessary changes to this current school board and find people who are willing to look at the entire district and see how we can best serve the students and their education and also do it in a fiscally sound manner. I for one would love to form a committee that would discuss how we can achieve this so that our district, as a whole, can be proud of what we have.

• By rudytuesday, September 1, 2010 @ 2:12 PM

Slaaga, while KHS may have a few classes that are small the majority are large. Look on the ASD site and look at the average class size. The difference is that ALL of EHS’s classes are small with an average class size of 9. Wouldn’t ALL students love to be in a class of 9 and would ALL teachers love to only teach 9 kids and get paid the same as someone who teaches sometimes three times more?

• By Ron Townsend Jr., September 1, 2010 @ 2:18 PM

To Jan,
    You are correct. I have sat by for the last year reading the posts on here. I finally heard enough. It is time to take action other than sitting behind our keyboards and monitors and snipping at each other. I am willing to try to help resolve the issues. How many others are willing to? I am trying to figure out a way for others to contact me that are interested in doing so. There is no way I am putting my email address on here. Judging by the posts I have seen on here, my inbox probably wouldn’t be able to handle the hate mail. Anyhow, I think the biggest discussion we need to have is what goals we have as a district and what candidates would be best for the ENTIRE district and get those names out there to the voting public. Anything else I add would probably be fuel for the fodder. So if any responsible and reasonable people are interested, please let me know.

• By Jan, September 1, 2010 @ 6:52 PM

Mr. Townsend;
    You are correct in not putting your email or any other information in this forum- mainly because it’s not for public display. I’m not sure how to address this. Is your phone number in the book? Do you have a facebook acct? These may be two avenues for bringing people together for the common goal of creating a healthy, positive district for our students.

• By Ron Townsend Jr., September 1, 2010 @ 9:41 PM

@Jan
    No, I am not in the phone book. Yes I am on facebook.

• By slaaga, September 1, 2010 @ 10:31 PM

To rudytuesday,
    I do look at the ASD website. Elderton has a 10:1 student to teacher ratio while Kittanning is 12:1. But I am not the type of parent who jumps on a band wagon due to hear say or reports

• By slaaga, September 1, 2010 @ 10:45 PM

Oops, that was my error. But…. How many students have you actually spoken to from either school? One thing I have found out the hard way…. you can NOT believe everything you read!

• By dee, September 2, 2010 @ 4:36 AM

To make the comment that “taxes would go up no matter what” is so … I don’t know what to call it. Chaz, I would guess that you are not paying $6000 per year like my daughter for a modest home. She should just expect that to go up to $7K because, oh well, taxes do go up?

Many of you are complaining about the deplorable conditions at all of the schools. Well, that’s because there isn’t enough money to fix them because there are too many schools to support from our tax base. Do you know it was 104 degrees one day this week in Elderton Elementary?

There’s not enough money to keep the schools in repair. But what’s really sad is that in other communities where the schools are well kept and offer good course selection, the taxes people pay are much lower. Do your homework.

Yes, it is selfish to re-open Elderton with such low enrollment. Those of you who support that decision…what number of graduating students would you draw the line at? Would 25 be too low? How about 15? Or would you keep the school open to graduate just 1?

• By CHAZ, September 2, 2010 @ 8:22 AM

Oh I’m sooo sorry that I was right that taxes do go up and btw you can call it the truth, they have for years and nothing is going to change that. And noone told your daughter to buy a house with $6000 worth of taxes that was her choice. My main concern is that my children have a good education maybe your children were good in a big school mine however are not. Have you ever wondered why we have so many IEP’s in this district. It’s because the teachers do not have enough time to help the children who need a little extra help. Like I said before I have 3 children 1 who struggles with school, 1 who has severe autism and my youngest has TBI and is in lifeskills so all of you who are against these smaller schools think that just because my children may not be able to learn at the same rate as yours that the heck with them let them fall behind. I DON’T THINK SO! By the way I am related to people who live in these areas with the super schools and yeah the taxes are higher to maintain those schools–don’t know where you got ur info. I would love to know why all of the sudden there’s no money to keep up with all these schools when for years it wasn’t a problem it’s not like we even have as many schools in this district that we use to.

• By Jan, September 2, 2010 @ 6:30 PM

To Chaz:
    First I would like to ask you when your taxes went up last? I’m fairly certain that school taxes have not increased in a few years- so I’m not sure where you’re coming from???
    As per your children- you are correct that they would be better served in smaller classes, but I have to wonder what you determine to be “smaller”. Are you suggesting that your children should be in a classroom with less than 10- 15 students? Are you aware that the smaller the numbers in a building, the more it cost per student? That’s a fact that you can check on for yourself. You are chastising the person who spoke of her daughter’s taxes being what they are- but the fact of the matter is, those of us who live in densely populated areas of Armstrong, are paying the the majority of tax revenues to the district so I think that we can complain about where our tax dollars are going. I don’t mind my taxes increasing if I know that we are getting something for it- but to patch old buildings with low enrollment just doesn’t make sense- and honestly, at this point in time- there is no need to continue arguing about this. It is what it is.
    One more thing- I’m not sure what school districts you are referring to, but I can definitely tell you that residents of the Butler School District, which is a large district do not pay near the amount that we do in this district.And one last thing: You stated that you wonder why all of a sudden there’s no money to keep up with all these schools….. here is the simple answer. Recession…… loss of Elger and other big business’s, under-populated areas which has caused a decrease in student enrollment ( again, this goes back to a statement I made earlier regarding student enrollment and cost per student.) Need I say more?

• By ASDpayer, September 2, 2010 @ 8:35 PM

A response to Chaz

ASD taxes are the highest in the area, save for Fox Chapel. All of Indiana, Butler, Clarion and Westmoreland Counties school districts pay less in taxes by a factor of 50%. At Elderton HS there are 25 classes of 5 students or less. This is for regular classes, not special ed, lifeskills, etc. which should be small. This makes the per pupil costs just over the top. Even Mt. Lebanon which is an excellent school district and test scores, educates its students for about 40% less.

• By outsider, September 3, 2010 @ 9:28 AM

I am not from Armstrong County, and reading these posts I thank God that I’m not. Is everyone there so low class? I mean you have teachers threatening to blow up schools, you have adults calling out and degrading students (minors) on public websites (sickofitall above), calling students in one of your schools stupid and making fun of teachers and administrators that are trying to educate your kids. I understand wanting to be prudent with tax dollars but is that really a reason to be so immature, rude and childish. And if you are that militant about not wanting this school to be open then why don’t you just move out of the district rather than attacking kids and teachers. Take your tax dollars elsewhere. Although, I have a feeling that they are minimal because I can’t believe that people that acts in this manner are really making any money. Pathethic!!!

• By CHAZ, September 3, 2010 @ 12:24 PM

Jan
    1st of all my taxes have not gone up at all since I bought my house 4 years ago. 2nd I don’t know where you people are getting that the classes at Elderton only have 10 students because my daughter has classes with as many as 26 students.3rd of all my taxes are lower than my sisters and she lives in Butler right in town, where as I live in the country. As far as saying Recession–You don’t need to tell me about that because as far as Eljer goes that hit my family, my dad worked there for 33 years and lost his job. That is not why we can’t afford these schools… Did you happen to see the article in the Indiana Gazette on August 27, 2010. Our school District is not hurting like they want us to all think they are.
    To outsider,

• By CHAZ, September 3, 2010 @ 12:24 PM

To outsider,

• By CHAZ, September 3, 2010 @ 12:26 PM

Thank you for what you said, the only reason I starting posting was because of how people ganged up on AStudent. It discussed me on how adults would act like that with a student.

• By Mandy Wrighter, September 3, 2010 @ 12:44 PM

@ outsider ~ excellent post!!

• By Ron Townsend Jr., September 3, 2010 @ 1:08 PM

To outsider;
    We are not moving because these are our homes, this is where we were born and raised. Instead of running we want to make a change for the good. I am not one to run away from my problems. Read any of my above posts and you will see I am looking for a resolution. I agree with you that there is too much name-calling and squabbling on here but you did the same exact thing that you were complaining about. Unless calling people low class is not an insult where you come from. So please, being an outsider don’t add fuel to our already burning inferno. If you have ideas we would like to hear them but don’t cut us down. Some of us are really here to help. Thank you.

• By outsider, September 3, 2010 @ 1:59 PM

Ron,

That was meant more as a rhetorical question. I wasn’t actually asking if every single person in Armstrong County is low class. I was mostly alluding to the people that are attacking students, teachers and administrators. I believe most people would agree that those posts and those writing them are pretty low class. If you are seeking solutions in a reasonable manner I think that is great. I honestly just found it astonishing that people are at war with one another over whether a school is open or not. I mean even if it cost an extra $500 per year per person (which I would doubt) is it really worth the “inferno” as you put it? I just hope that reasonable, calm heads prevail, it is not worth sacrificing honor, self respect and the peace and camaraderie within your district. Those should be first priority, that would be my only recommendation.

• By dee, September 6, 2010 @ 8:11 AM

First, the posts on this web site are certainly no worse than the posts on any other news web site. In fact, they are not as bad as most. Honestly, my advice for anyone who is upset by them would be to just not read them.

Second. @VerySpecialPerson, at first I, too, believed that AStudent was really a student but I have since come to believe that he/she is much too cynical to be a teenager.

• By Modest_Citizen, September 6, 2010 @ 7:24 PM

@ AStudent

Dear, I hate to tell you this, but you either have HORRIBLE English teachers or you are just stupid. Learn what a “run-on sentence” is before you post again.

However, I do agree with you about your comment regarding the last principal at EHS. He…was…quite “the baboon!”

As far as any other school having balloons and a parade for the first day…do you really think this is what the “real world” has in store for you? High school is to prepare you for college or work. There is NOT ONE employer who will have balloons and “my principal (boss) loves me” pencils on your first day. Get a life!

Good luck this year, and remember: brush up on English! Although, that may be proper grammar for Elderton?

• By Modest_Citizen, September 6, 2010 @ 7:33 PM

@ CHAZ

If you were serious about your children’s education, you would call the administration building and demand to have a 7-12 autistic support class. The current autistic support ends after grade 6. I guess the district things those kids are “cured” by that time.

There are many other kids in the other schools with autism that deal with the pressures of a larger school. It is part of life.

• By eldertongrad02, September 7, 2010 @ 4:58 AM

WOW! You all are very pathetic! Still bickering over ballons and pencils? You all really need to get a life. If your mommy’s and daddy’s haven’t told you. You are all big boys and girls now! Take on the responsibility of paying bills and enjoy life. I just have to sit here and laugh and chuckle at you all!

• By JBM1976, October 11, 2010 @ 1:14 AM

I know I’m kind of late on replying. The Elderton school isn’t that ran down. It’s well taken care of. maybe they need to expand the limits of the Elderton school buses, and take some students out of the other schools. Yes it’s to small for a football team. But having a football team doesn’t give the kids better grades. The students at Elderton normaly test higher then other school in the state. I see you complaining about the staff being outside and all for the kids on the first day. It lifts the spirits of the students. It makes them feel better and when students feel better they are more likely to get better grades. It gives them school pride! Yes taxes may go up. But remember the state is opening up more Casinos and they are to help offset taxes. Going to the other schools the students were on the buses to long. Not all of them but Is it fair to make kids be on buses that long? Reopening it was the right thing and to tell the truth when It closed my taxes didn’t go down. The school district just started to stockpile the money they received. They didnt update the books for the students or anything like that. They kept the money and then acted like they didn’t know how they had that much money.

It looks like lots of small minded people are still complaining about it reopening. If it was your kid on the bus for over an hour each way would you be happy. It may have small classes but they have some of the best test scores in the state. That should tell you that the other schools in the distric already have to many students.

If you think closing a school will make your taxes go down. Think again. They will keep collecting the same amount of money if not more.

• By JBM1976, October 11, 2010 @ 1:41 AM

I also see that people complaining about the graduating class at Elderton. look into it. A lot of the students at Elderton go to Lenape tech and graduate from there. The classes would be larger if they didn’t go to the tech school. myself and most of my relatives who went to Elderton ended up going to Lenape vo-tech. We were not counted as graduating from Eldeton since we had our last two years at Lenape.

I also saw were people were saying about how old the school is. not all of the school is as old as some of it. the cafeteria is newer along with the kitchen. The 7th and 8th grade class rooms are a newer part of the school. I think the school board should see about putting in solar panels or wind turbines to bring down the bills. Heck i would be willing to make a donation to help pay for alternitve power for the school. They maybe able to get them donated since the company most likely could use them as a tax right off. Also Elderton jr sr high is connected to Elderton elementary school at the cafeteria tray return and they share part of the same kitchen. Since the elementary and jr sr high schools are connected you still have to keep some kind of maintenance up on elderton jr sr high school. It makes more sense to close Kittanning twp elementary and send most of the kids to elderton elementary. It is a shame to close Kittanning twp. I think they should see about making it into a pvt school were parents have to pay to send students.

• By Bugey, October 11, 2010 @ 7:05 AM

@JBM1976
    OMG! Where to start. Grammar, spelling, proper punctuation, proper use of to, two and too, “ran down”. Guessing that you are one of those, as Mrs. Brown put it, “very, very smart” graduates of EHS

Flawed logic. Taxes will never go down. Whoever said that would happen? The goal is for them not to increase at the phenomenal rate that they will with the “Elderton Extravaganza and Renovation Project”. Taxes will continue to go up but should we FORCE them to increase more than the normal economic processes already do?

Please cite something that states that Elderton has some of the highest scores in the state. In just looking at the last PSSA scores from there and the ranking in the state I believe you are either delusional , very misinformed or outright lying.

We are so happy that our tax dollars are paying your teachers a minimum of $45,000 / year and your administrators $93,000/ year, and don’t forget benefits, to “lift your spirits” so you perform better on tests. I think hiring Buffo at $10/hr would have that same effect, and cost us much less. Better yet, I bet Mr. Brown or maybe Rose or Royce could do it for the cost of the clown suit only and then use the remainder of the tax dollars for EDUCATION for ALL of the students.

Please keep your school. It’s wonderful but why should the rest of us pay for your private school educations when our children are NOT getting fair and equal treatment? I think it would be WONDERFUL to equalize the numbers at each school even if that means some kids would have to be on the bus for an hour both ways, oh wait many already are and you don’t hear their “communities” whining. It is what it is and we do what is the best educationally and financially for ALL of our kids. What makes you so special? I would bet the farm on the fact that the Elderton “Community” would pitch an absolute hissy fit if the low-lifes from our other schools dared to entered the “hallowed ground” of EHS. Please, oh please redraw the attendance lines to increase student numbers at EHS. I think Atwood and Sagamore would boost the numbers. Throw in most of Dayton proper and some of Wayne Twp and then we have a party and according to the illustrious Sarah Yassem West Shamokin is over crowded any way! Leave Cowanshannock, Numine, and Rural Valley at WSHS add in all of Rayburn and that should decrease Kittanning numbers and so on! I say LET’S DO IT! Wait, did we forget a GREAT majority of students didn’t want to go back to EHS?

JBM you are a scary person and a prime example of why ASD needs to worry about EDUCATION and NOT brick and mortar, entertainment, or “hurting the feelings” of the community.

• By ASDpayer, October 11, 2010 @ 4:38 PM

The bottom line is that there are classes—25 of them—that have less than 5 students. This is just financially stupid. Tell me how this is a good use of financial resources. And JBm, your terrible use of grammar, spelling and syntax does not reflect well on your EHS education. Finally, the test scores of EHS are well below state averages. You can look it up, I did. Get a clue.

Other Links to this Post