Ruth Ann “Susie” Toy, 78 of Kittanning, died Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at her daughter’s home in Ford City.
She was born November 5, 1935 to Howard J. and Ruby (Step) Booher.
A community resident all her life, Ruth was a housewife and member of the Center Hill Church of the Brethren.
She enjoyed bingo, going to the casino, watching wrestling and spending time with her grandchildren.
Ruth Ann is survived by her eight daughters: Rhetta Cravener of Ford City, Amy Wolfe of Adrian, Ruby Toy of Kittanning, Hazel Mowery of Kittanning, Helan Shaffer of Ford City, Debre Bennett of Templeton, Jane Zimmerman of Ford City and Annie Toy of New Kensington; three sons: Norman Booher of Somerset, Mark Woodward of Natrona Heights and Jay Toy of Kittanning; four brothers: Dave Booher of Ohio, Homer Booher of Ohio, Howard Booher of Kittanning and Robert Booher of Fayette County; and three sisters: Peggy Manson of Ford Cliff, Linda Lou of Michigan and Lillian Dunn of South Carolina.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Thomas L. Toy, Sr.; two brothers: Johnny Booher and Billy Booher; two sisters: Mary Booher and Florince Booher; step-son, Thomas L. “Bud” Toy, Jr.; and step-daughter, Ida Wright.
Friends will be received from 2-4 and 7-9PM today – Friday, December 13, 2013 – at the Kennedy and Blodgett Funeral Home in Kittanning.
Funeral services will be held at 11AM Saturday, December 14, 2013 at the funeral home, with the Rev. Wes Berkebile officiating.
Interment will follow at the Center Hill Church of the Brethren Cemetery.
To send an online condolence, visit www.snydercrissman.com
Terry Verner, 43 of Plumcreek Township was found dead inside his mobile home Wednesday morning by firefighters as they tried to extinguish the fire that engulfed the residence. State Police and the Armstrong County Coroner’s Office are reporting that Verner attempted to save two dogs trapped in the residence, but only made it about five feet inside the front door. Smoke continued to pour from the residence Wednesday afternoon.
by Jonathan Weaver
A local man was found dead within the Plumcreek Township fire first reported in the Kittanning Paper yesterday.
At about 1:50AM Wednesday morning, paramedics and firefighters were dispatched to 342 Village Road for a working structure fire with entrapment.
The person inside was identified as Terry Verner of that address by Armstrong County Deputy Coroner (Coroner-elect) Brian Myers.
“The cause of death is smoke inhalation and the manner of death is accidental,” Myers said. “He was found approximately 4-5 feet inside the front door.”
Myers and Deputy Coroner Bob Bellas were called to the scene less than an hour later, officially at 2:41AM. He said it was a long night for both him and firefighters from Elderton, Plumcreek, Kittanning Township and Plumville (Indiana County).
“I never left the scene until – I’m going to guess 5:30-6AM. And I know the fire companies were still on-scene until at least 7:30AM,” Myers said.
Myers said the structure was still engulfed at the time of his arrival. Firefighters extricated Verner immediately.
Verner initially did escape, but his cousin – who did not need to be treated by Citizens Ambulance emergency medical responders – witnessed him return to the house to try and save his two dogs.
Medical responders were first on-scene and reportedly heard an explosion about 15 minutes after the initial dispatch, supposedly due to propane within the residence.
According to the State Police information report, Verner was known to have a wood burner inside the residence.
The State Police Fire Marshal in Butler is currently investigating the fire to pinpoint where it originated.
The fire scene was about two-and-a-half miles from Downtown Elderton near Gastown.